5 y/o GE dryer

Old 06-23-10, 06:53 AM
5 y/o GE dryer

Actually, this dryer belongs to this elderly lady I help out when she has troubles. She called me yesterday and said her dryer was making this loud screeching noise, so I drove over to take a look. I gave the dryer a spin by hand expecting the belt was broken but it spun fine with no noise whatever so I took the top off and couldn't see anything wrong. I plugged it up and it worked fine with no noise. This morning, the lady called and said as soon as I left yesterday the screeching started. Anyone know what I should look for?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-10, 04:30 PM
Oh well, someone else's problem now.

I just called the lady and suggested she call a pro. I just thought I could have saved her some $$$ because she's on a fixed income. I couldn't get the dryer to reproduce the noise while I was there. Oh well, someone else's problem now.

Old 06-26-10, 10:54 PM
Exclamation screeching

if its an old dryer...like real old. perhaps the sound could be coming from these things called "drum bearings" located at the front of the drum but they are in fact like teflon cushion pads/glides. if they wear to the cork underneath it causes a sort of resistance and perhaps the sound. the dryer drum may also be sitting on roller wheel thingys at the back end of the drum these could use a good lube spray or something.and there is also the felt like gasket both at the front end and rear end of the drum. these could also have worn exposing metal beneath. and then there is the little drum belts tensioner wheel thingy..that mat also be dry and needs a lil lube. hope this helps.Beer 4U2