Kenmore Side By Side Refrigerator - Does not Cool

Old 06-25-10, 10:22 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Side By Side Refrigerator - Does not Cool

I have a Kenmore model number 10653502300 - seven years old.

The refrigerator has stopped cooling. The refrigerator / freezer compartment is emptied now, I replaced it asap since all my food was about to spoil and I couldn't get a repair man to help me with my used appliance purchase from craigslist (bummer).

Now I am trying to repair myself so that I can use it for a new beer frig and replace the 30 year old clunker in my garage since it has been sporadic...

I checked the unit in the freezer to make sure it was not a solid block of ice and not defrosted - it is completely free for air to pass accross the heat exchanger. The defrost heater is not stuck on making the freezer section hot.

I don't think that the compressor is running correctly - doesn't vibrate or make much of any sound when the frig is trying to run. The compressor feels warm to the touch when it is trying to operate. I hear relays clicking on and off with regularity when it is trying to cool.

How can I troubleshoot to make sure that the run capacitor circuit for the compressor is working? How about the compressor itself - is there a way to tell if it is operating easily?

I should have also mentioned - the fans (inside the frig and in the box in the bottom of the frig blowing accross the coils near the floor and the compressor are blowing). Air is circulating inside the frig for sure - I can feel the air coming through the duct from the freezer section to the fresh food side.

I have changed the controls back and forth cool to coldest and back again - no response from the system over the course of 12 hrs.

I'll also try cleaning the coils near the floor - I see that asked alot in these forums - if the condenser coils are clean.

Anything else I can check?

Thanks!

Last edited by dkruger; 06-25-10 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-27-10, 04:29 AM
I
I had a similar problem and found the overload relay on the compressor was burned up. In my case once I removed from the compressor I could see the burned ,flash marks on it. It must be a common problem as I have had several friends with same issues. If you find it bad, it might be a good idea to replace the run capacitor also.

Old 06-28-10, 08:10 AM
D
You found this by removing the part from the compressor? I am looking for any other troubleshooting suggesstions. I think I'll take a little time to get out my multimeter and check if the compressor is drawing any current when the frig is trying to cool.

Is it possible for the compressor to be warm to the touch even if the compressor is not running?

Would a warm compressor but no cooling be an indication that a leak has developed and my refrigerant is now all gone?

Thanks!

Old 06-28-10, 08:38 PM
M
I wouldn't worry about freon/leak.

If you hear a clicking noise that's the round compressor overload protector. It is hooked inline with the start relay and goes to the bottom common terminal on the compressor.
You have one of 2 problems. One the compressor is seized up and cannot turn and is kicking out on overload. Two you have a bad relay on the compressor; could be capacitor if it has one.
I would go to appliance parts store and get a relay and see what happens. They aren't that expensive. They also make a "Hard Start Kit" that is a capacitor stronger than factory one that may get a stuck compressor going. I would unplug fridge and snap cover off compressor and remove relay. Simply unplugs. The freon is probably ok the compressor is not running so it cannot cool. They make an electronic relay which is more dependable than the mechanical ones that factory installs.
Let us know how it goes....maybe that's why they put it up for sale, bummer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: