Freezer Won't Freeze

Old 07-23-10, 09:28 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Freezer Won't Freeze

I swear to God I'm going to throw this thing into Lake Michigan!!

We have a LG refrigerator with a bottom freezer. Last summer, we had some problems with it not getting as cold as it used to. I let it go a while thinking it was the heat/humidity. When the weather got more mild, it still never recovered. So I emptied it and unplugged the entire unit for about 48 hours. I plugged it back in and it's worked fine for a year.

Now, it's been averaging 90 degrees with high humidity for the last couple weeks. The temperature in the freezer has been gradually warming. I keep turning the temp control to "colder" and it doesn't do anything. In fact, I just checked it now and the freezer is just over 32 degrees (which is freezing temp). This morning, it was just over 20 and I turned the temp control down one notch.

The popsicles are melted (because of the anti-freezing agents they put in them), the pizzas are all soft, and the ice cubes are becoming less and less dense. The only thing that is still solid is some fish that is in there. But I'm sure they won't stay solid for long if this continues.

I've searched to the end of Al Gore's internet and can't find a definitive reason for this and a way to prevent it. Just a lot of random problems that different freezers experience.

Does ANYONE have any thought on this?

BTW - We don't have any air conditioning, but I'm 36 and lived without air conditioning for the majority of my life. I've never noticed this in any other freezer... even my last one that didn't defrost properly.

Thanks...

Old 07-24-10, 04:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Swear......to God of all people?! I'll go another direction. Anyway, it probably isn't the ambient temperature of the room that is causing the freezer fits. I'm not familiar with the locations of the LG components, so you may have to google the brand/model to get it. You have a defrost control module that has gone south. The freezer is freezing, but not cycling to allow the frost on the cooling fins to melt off. That is indicative of what happened when you unplugged it for 48 hours. It defrosted and cycled for a while. Once the frost builds up and builds up, it gets solid and no air passes across them, thereby not allow cold air into the compartment.
Some of our guys will have more in depth LG experience and can probably zero in on the location, etc of the components. Good luck with the repair.

Old 07-24-10, 10:43 AM
P
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Swear......to God of all people?!
I know... I know. I just don't know how to express my disdain for this situation without going into a childish fit of rage.

Thanks for the input. Based on what a few other people said (and NOT wanting to manually defrost the thing right now), I pulled it away from the wall, opened it up, cleaned it out (it really wasn't too dirty) and placed a fan at the cooling fins and compressor. We'll see what happens

By the way, it is a model: LRBC20512WW. This fridge is only 3-4 years old. Also, it appears to run differently when this happens. I believe the compressor has been running non-stop for the last few days. And the compressor is pretty hot to the touch. And, when I opened the back, there is a little water in the pan.

Old 07-24-10, 07:56 PM
P
Correction to last post:

I placed a fan at the compressor and the condenser coils (I think)... not the cooling fins as this was the back side of the entire unit. I hadn't opened up the freezer yet.

Update:

Placing a fan at the components in the back (compressor and condenser coils... I think) did nothing.

I unplugged it, emptied the freezer, and removed the back panel. There was about 3 -4 inches of frost buildup on the copper piping going to the evaporator coils. The cooling fins themselves weren't frosted, but were wet. Probably had minor frost buildup that melted in the time it took me to disassemble.

I defrosted it with a heat gun and placed a fan in there to dry the cooling fins. Took about an hour and a half.

I put it all back together and plugged it in. We'll see what happens now.

Ugh...

Old 07-25-10, 04:31 AM
I did that several times to my Maytag wide by side. Finally discovered (via this forum) it was probably the defrost module. Ordered one, replaced it, crossed my fingers and it worked. Once the main condensate line freezes up, and until it is defrosted, you won't get any cooling. Hopefully by defrosting that line you may get a little more time on it. Keep us posted.

Old 07-18-13, 11:13 AM
S
Any luck finding out with the problem with this was? Freezer is not working.

Old 07-18-13, 03:09 PM
3 years ago, probably. If you have a question, it may be best to start a new thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: