Replacing LG washer door gasket... need help

Old 07-23-10, 10:46 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing LG washer door gasket... need help

I have an LG washer (WM2010CW) just over a year old. Last week someone tried to wash a bathmat in it which caused it to be off-balance & jump all over the place. Somehow the door gasket got twisted up, which seems odd. No way to untwist it by hand...

I ordered the specialty tools to remove the inner & outer retaining ring. Outer ring was easy to remove, but closer inspection reveals a tear in the gasket. There is a sharp piece of wire sticking out at one end of the inner retaining ring. I think it caused the tear... is it possible the inner retainer spring was actually deformed by the off-balance spin cycle? (i'm guessing I should order a replacement ring as well as a gasket)

The larger question... is it possible to remove & replace the gasket without taking the front panel off of the washer?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-10, 04:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 56 Posts
I have not changed any LG boots. but front of washer comes off very easy. Hardest part is snapping off the control panel. After you take the top the control panel pops off the clips forward, Always think it will break before it comes off.
Most washers you can replace it without taking front off but it the first time I would take off the front. While front is off make sure the shocks are good.

Old 07-25-10, 11:16 PM
J
I've freed up the inner retaining ring and it seems there is a drainage hose that attaches to the gasket. So it's back to taking it apart - now if only I could find the replacement gasket in-stock somewhere.

Old 07-26-10, 04:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think there is a medal ring holding hose on that is crimped. use a pair of side cutters cut it off. use a small tie wrap to reinstall

Old 08-03-10, 02:29 PM
J
Argh!

So I ended up taking the front panel off. This revealed a large spring unhooked from the drum and a shock basically in two pieces. I re-hooked the spring and guided the 2 halves of the shock back together. This may be wishful thinking on my part, but I'm hoping that damaged shock will be acceptable for a while.

So what's the magic secret for getting the new gasket on the drum? I can't quite get it before it slips off. C'mon LG - there's no special tool for that?

Old 08-03-10, 02:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
use a little soap on the rubber work it on. Before you put front on make sure you can't pull boot off tub with a little pressure.

Old 08-05-10, 01:37 AM
J
I had to recruit the boyfriend for help seating the new gasket. Him: "where are the instructions?" Me: "it says 'install new gasket'." Washer is reassembled and seems to be working.

I think the big spring has been unhooked since the washer was delivered just over a year ago. I just didn't realize the washer was "off" because I hadn't had a front loader before. It runs differently now... a little quieter.

Hate to say it, but I might suggest to anyone who has a new machine - take the front panel off & visually inspect the inner workings. That part wasn't hard. The outer tub seal isn't hard to deal with either. I personally avoided disconnecting the control panel by loosening it (to get to the front panel bolts) and then securing it to the front of the machine. I also used my car's tire jack to lift the outer tub so i could re-hook the spring. Still had to muscle it up, but only a few inches.

Should've taped it & put it on youtube, but there was too much swearing.

Old 08-05-10, 03:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
LG washer are usually quiet, If shakes in spin put 4or 5 towels put in rinse and high spin, wait until high spin and adjust one front leg. if going wrong way it will shake more. you will see it smooth out going right way.

Old 08-08-10, 06:48 PM
J
It was pretty quiet before. It did get off balance & require tweaking about 6 months in. This is just an overall difference in sound quality. The kind of thing you wouldn't realize was wrong until you hear what it should sound like.

At any rate, I've done a lot of laundry this week & the new gasket seems to be firmly attached. Thanks for the help & good luck to all who attempt this.

Old 08-20-10, 06:22 PM
R
i have the 2501 series washer and dryer. serious piece of machinery if you ask me. On one spin cycle it moved maybe 1/4 of inch and the machine shut down and thru up an error code and would not run until the uneven load was fixed. i'm surprise yours did not do the same.

Old 08-25-10, 12:02 AM
J
Honestly, I am too. I believe the manual says it will stop & restart itself 3 times (in an effort to rebalance the load on its own). I can't say if that happened as I was in the shower at the time. There's a lot of new construction in my area, so I thought the neighbors were working on the roof or something.

When I realized, I ran in & shut the washer off immediately. It had already moved several inches and shoved the dryer into the wall.

It seems to be working well now. Many loads of laundry done w/o incident, although I threw the offending bathmat in the garbage.

I'm wondering if anyone's successfully patched a hole in these gaskets. Aside from fighting to get them seated properly, they aren't under that much stress. Seems like a waterproof patch kit might work pretty well, especially if you hit both sides. I will say this: having done this on my own, knowing what I know now, I would be *very* tempted to try a patch w/o removing the gasket entirely. Tear-Aid or something like it...

Old 08-25-10, 08:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
One of our techs patched one (did not have right one on truck) but it was only a small fill hole on the top. I would not try to do this on any hole in the lower area of boot. You will have 6to 7 gallons of water on floor in a hurry,

Old 09-12-11, 04:27 PM
F
Smile I also have an LG washer (WM2010CW)

I took off the top of the wash machine, it comes off very easily. I bought a tool used to attach breaks to a car and spread the spring for $10.

The outside spring was easy to reattach. The internal spring was very difficult to reattach. This tool was the best way to attach the spring is coming in from the top.

Old 12-10-11, 07:17 PM
K
Originally Posted by Fixerguy View Post
I took off the top of the wash machine, it comes off very easily. I bought a tool used to attach breaks to a car and spread the spring for $10.
What's the name of that tool? The only spreader tool I've seen for this seems to be custom made specifically for this task, and was like $80 online. I've gotten the front spring off & on a couple times with just a painter's multi-tool for leverage, but haven't tried taking off the front panel to access the back spring.

Also, where would be a good place to shop for a replacement gasket online?

Old 12-11-11, 08:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Go to a auto parts store and look at brake spring spreader tools. I just put a door boot on yesterday and have tool from LG and it was very hard to install. I think a car brake tool will work better,