Side by Side freezer temp. fluxuation?

Old 08-29-10, 06:07 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Side by Side freezer temp. fluxuation?

I have a GE Profile side by side (about 3 years old) that is having temperature shifts in the freezer side. The range is anywhere from around -10F to +28F. I noticed this about a week ago when my I was getting ice out of the ice maker and it was wet. Over the last couple of weeks the ice (from the ice maker) has melted and it has an icicle hanging off the ice maker and a frozen puddle beneath it. I have checked the back and it is clean (I vacuumed it out about 6 months ago while I was laying tile in my kitchen). I would like to trouble shoot to find out the source of the problem but I'm not sure what to check first. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.ic

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-10, 05:41 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
See if the compressor runs when it is starting to rise in temperature. If it is not running, then one has to figure out why not - because it should be. Do you hear any weird clicking sounds coming from the back, sometimes? What is this doing to the temp in your fridge? Is this a single compressor unit?

Old 09-01-10, 05:39 AM
O
Im not sure if it is a single compressor unit. The model # is PSW26PSW. Its about 25F in there now and I can here someting running but im not sure if it is the compressor. Im not sure what a compressor sounds like. It sounds like a low hum or a growling stomach. I have to get pretty close to even hear it. Do you think it is the compressor?

Old 09-01-10, 05:47 PM
E
Probably. You may have to pull the beast away from the wall and get back there and do a visual inspection on this.

Old 09-01-10, 07:18 PM
O
Is there a way that I can test to see if it is the compressor? I kind of thought it might be a thermostat because sometimes it cools and sometimes it does not. It has a digital readout for the temp. and it is usually off. Example: the Digital readout may say 5F and my thermometer will say 25. Right now it says -1 and my thermometer says -8.

Old 09-01-10, 07:46 PM
O
By the way, I can here what I think is the compressor now. Its a lot louder then it was this morning.

Old 09-01-10, 10:25 PM
O
I just checked again and I did not hear the fan noise. I opened the door to check the temp and it was 28F. A couple of hours ago it was -10F. I could here some weird noises when I had the door open. I hope this info helps.

Old 09-01-10, 10:41 PM
O
Sorry to keep adding stuff like this but I keep noticing things when I go check. I just checked again (5 min. from last post) and I could here the fan noise (it literally is the fan. this is what i thought was the compressor noise.). Is the compressor and fan the same thing? I checked and the temp. is dropping again. With the door open the fan stoped. When I pressed the door switch the fan would come on a blow cold air. With the door open I could here the noises in the previous post (btw it has always made these noises so I guess they are just the fridge's normal working noises). It seems the compressor is working (its blowing cold air when its on) but it seems to be switching on and off to frequently. Thanks again for any advise and sorry for all the posts. Got to get in the bed its almost midnight:-(

Old 09-02-10, 09:30 AM
E
Is it the fridge section on your unit that has the temp control in it that does the temp sensing? You have temp oscillations in the freezer side. Put thermometer in fridge section and tell me what is going on in there.

Old 09-05-10, 08:13 PM
O
The temp. controls on on the outside of the freezer door. The freezer has been working fine the last couple of days. It has started the fluxuation back though (its back in the uper 20's and I have melting ice cream). I checked the fridge side and it seems to stay constatnt. The only thing that I have noticed is that I have it set at 34F and my thermometer shows 39F-40F. This may just be the difference in the location of the refrigerators thermometer and where I have my thermometer. What does that mean if the fridge temp. stays constant and the freezer temp. fluxuates?

Old 09-07-10, 06:11 PM
E
Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
What does that mean if the fridge temp. stays constant and the freezer temp. fluxuates?
Not sure. Something odd like if a freezer light sporadically comes back on when the door is closed could do it I suppose. Or if the defrost cycle got stuck and lasted too long. Or if the side x side freezer and fridge sections have their own cooling systems.

Old 09-08-10, 08:06 PM
O
Ohh well. I guess it is time to call the repair man. Thanks for your help ecman.

Old 09-09-10, 06:08 PM
E
If you can pick the repairmans' brain, let us know more how your particular unit vents, and what the problem is.