KitchenAid Topload Washer tangling clothes during the High Agitation Cycle

Old 10-04-10, 01:11 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! Topload Washer is twisting laundry around the Agitator during Wash Cycle

My laundry is getting twisted/wrapped around the Agitator (between Upper & Lower Agitator) during the Wash Cycle when I use the "High/Fast Agitation Setting" and it's making a grinding noise. I replaced the Lower Agitator, Dog Ear's and Motor Coupler but it didn't fix the problem. The Bottom Agitator moves back & forth and the Upper Agitator moves clockwise. It's a KitchenAid Topload Washer and the Model# is KAWS850JQ4. What part could be causing this problem?

Last edited by rockinrobin; 10-04-10 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-10, 04:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
When is it making a grinding noise? Can you put your fingers under agitator?

Old 10-05-10, 09:21 AM
R
Yes, I can put my fingers under the Agitator. The grinding/clicking noise starts when the laundry begins to wrap around the Agitator but only during the "High/Fast Agitation Setting". I don't have any problems with the Washer when I use the Low Agitation Setting.

If the tub only has water in it then there isn't any noise during High/Fast Agitation. However, when I add the laundry then the grinding/clicking noise begins followed by tangling fabric's around the Agitator.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 10-05-10 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-05-10, 05:06 PM
R
I removed the Shell of the Washer and the grinding noise sounds like something is slipping or skipping and the noise seems to be coming from underneath the Agitator where the Transmission (Gearcase), Brake & Clutch are located.
Also, I noticed there was a Medium Size Round Belt (made out of a felt rubber material) that came off (due to breakage) and I think it's suppose to go around (or above) the Transmission and Clutch. Would that Belt have any effect on how the Washer Agitates?

Last edited by rockinrobin; 10-05-10 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Additional Information from 1st Reply
Old 10-05-10, 08:20 PM
R
I loaded a video on YouTube, please go to the following website to see/hear what the Washer is doing YouTube - 100 7565

Old 10-06-10, 02:19 PM
R
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
When is it making a grinding noise? Can you put your fingers under agitator?
Answer to 1st Question: During the Wash (Fast Agitate) Cycle, when I load it with laundry then the noise begins and the fabric's start wrapping/twisting around the Agitator (between Upper & Lower Agitator).
Answer to 2nd Question: Barely, just the tip of my fingers.

Old 10-07-10, 04:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need the agitator dogs (real name) Less than 10 dollars. Should be a bolt in top of agitator, remove bolt take agitator out replace dogs reinstall, 5 minute job for me.

Old 10-07-10, 12:12 PM
R
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
You need the agitator dogs (real name) Less than 10 dollars. Should be a bolt in top of agitator, remove bolt take agitator out replace dogs reinstall, 5 minute job for me.
I already replaced the Agitator Dog's, Lower Agitator and Motor Coupler (stated in 1st reply). Could it be the Motor or Gearcase/Transmission (Spline isn't worn/stripped) that's causing the Problem? I loaded a Video on YouTube (link available on my 2nd or 3rd reply).

Old 10-07-10, 04:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I looked at video the top of agitator is not turning with agitator. put hand on top of agitator it should only turn in one direction. If it goes both ways dogs or agitator bad. Could be gearcase problem but did not sound like it.

Old 10-28-10, 08:30 AM
B
Me too! What was the problem?

I've got the same problem with my washer. Any sort of load on Fast/Fast agitation and it starts making noise and spinning. It will also make the noise on regular agitation with a large load.

I watched video and it could have been a shot of my washer

I also replaced the agitator dogs. My agitator and coupler are fine.

Have you had any luck?

Old 10-29-10, 05:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If agitator dogs are good the only thing left is the gearcase.