Whirlpool Washer will not spin, unless started by hand!!

Old 10-10-10, 12:04 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a Whirlpool washer model #LSB6300PW3 that is 5 years old. It works fine until it is time to spin. Water pumps out, but the basket will not spin unless I open the lid and slightly turn the basket. Once I do that and close the lid, it spins perfectly until the next cycle, then I have to actuate by hand, again. Any thoughts re. repair or am I stuck with a semi-automatic washer, now?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-10, 03:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Most like;y oil leak into clutch, Lean washer back against wall and look under it. About 6nches from floor there will be a streak of oil. . You need a gearcase top seal. clutch and drive coupler. Let us know what you find.

Old 10-10-10, 05:57 PM
D

Bingo! On the left and right-hand sides of the housing, there is a oil streak about six inches above the floor. What causes this part to fail? How difficult is this to fix?

Old 10-11-10, 04:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Not to hard, seal just fails, need to pull gearcase and put seal in Clutch is mounted on top of gearcase.
Take agitator out. unclip water pump Twist to left and jam between cabinet and tub ( don't take hoses off unless you want water on floor), Take motor off, remove 3 bolts holding gearcase in. Case will drop out ( may hAVE TO BE WORKED UP AND DOWN A COUPLE OF TIMES) crap cap lock replaced seal and put new clutch and drive coupler. Keep us posted.

Old 10-16-10, 06:15 PM
D
I got lucky. I called Whirlpool to order the parts you suggested and found out that the drive was still under warranty (one week to go before expiring). They sent me a replacement drive, for free, and discounted the new clutch. I replaced both, today, and the washer is working like new! It took about two hours to dismantle and reassemble.

Thanks for the help.