Defrosting Amana Top/Bottom Refrigerator

Old 10-12-10, 04:34 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Defrosting Amana Top/Bottom Refrigerator

The refrigerator(top) section of my Amana refrigerator/freezer is not cooling. The freezer is working fine. I talked to someone at Amana and they said to check the vents between the 2 sections and see if they were blocked or iced up.

I checked and the vents in the freezer section are very icy/frosty and that appears to be the problem.

What is the quickest way to defrost these vents without doing harm to the vents or the refrigerator itself?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me on this!! I am in crisis mode since my refrigerator was above 60 all day.

Old 10-12-10, 05:22 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A hair dryer. But just don't go shutting inside the fridge, and walk away (unless you take precautions) as it can vibrate and wind up against plastic and maybe melt it. And you don't want the cooling vents on the side of the dryer to not be able to breathe. (If they are plugged with lint, clean them out with a toothbrush).

It is best to actually take a temp reading in the freezer, to be certain that it has no possible cooling issues. It should be about 0 degrees.

Also, is the evaporator fan that blows the cold from the freezer coils into the fridge section working, when the compressor runs, as it should be? And if you have a condensor fan under the entire fridge unit, does that also run when the compressor runs, as it should be?

Do you see any signs that any water is making it's way to the defrost catchpan?

Are the condensor (warm coils) clean(enough)?

One should determine why that frost is there. You might have defrost water that can't drain out. Or you could have something wrong with the defrosting. Or maybe you simply go in and out of there way more than normal, and your house is humid.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: