Kenmore front load 417.29052990; No spin or agitate

Old 10-15-10, 06:01 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore front load 417.29052990; No spin or agitate

Washer will fill and drain fine but will not agitate or spin in any cycle. Upon reflection seems like cloths have come out very wet lately and had to run through spin cycle twice. Now what?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-10, 06:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Drum doesn't turn at all? Most likely the motor controller, If drum turns usually the door lock.

Old 10-15-10, 07:00 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What about a slippage? Filling takes no movement. Draining requires little resistance, compared to agitate and spin.

Old 10-16-10, 05:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
In ten years these have been out have only seen 1 belt problem caused by bad bearings. Good question tho,
Dan 296 does the drum turn by hand? Take off lower panel and see if there is a belt laying on floor in back of washer. Did it make a roaring noise while in spin? does the drum turn smoothly, you can usually feel a bad bearing. I would guess washer is near 8 to 10 years old about time for bearing to go bad. Expensive
Here is a link to parts mentioned page 2 parts 4 & 8
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...200?pathTaken=
might be cheaper on E Bay

Old 10-16-10, 09:48 AM
D
Yes the drum turns by hand. I took off the lower panel and there isn't a belt laying on the floor. Odd, that this morning I started a wash cycle with the wet load from yesterday and the drum turned both ways during the cycle. But it is definitely not working right, just about ten revolutions then stops. I wait, wait and then it drains and fills again and maybe get one or two revolutions and the load just sits there while the timer ticks away. Another drain cycle and nothing. At final spin it spun fast and then stopped and nothing til buzzer.

I checked the door lock. Not sure what it should look like but the lower "prong" seems to be broken off, just what seems to be a jagged flat area where something may have been. I noticed these "prongs" fit in two holes when the door closes in the washer front, a top one and a bottom hole. There doesn't seem to be any type of recepticle in the bottom hole though.

I guess this is actually not the door lock but the mechinism on the door itself.

Machine is 11 years old, purchased in 1999.

Old 10-16-10, 09:57 AM
E
If you were to not let the timer advance any further, when it quits, by say stopping the machine......, then try to restart it in the same timer position where it shut off - maybe if the machine THEN started up, that this might indicate the motor is kicking out on overload? From maybe you washing these big loads? Or some mild bind-up that the motor cannot tolerate?

Does this drum first revolve one direction, then stop and reverse direction, during the same 'agitation' cycle, for better cleaning?

Old 10-16-10, 04:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like you have a bad door lock. You might have the real old style door lock. Can't remember if you can just get door piece or you have to get thew whole assy. Had one that broke like yours a couple years ago and think had to replace the whole assy. If you can find broken piece may be able to stick it in lock to work for a little while.

Old 10-17-10, 09:27 AM
D
So pugsl you're saying that a faulty door lock assembly will stop the washer from agitating and spinning? I tried to run it again this morning and again it seems to agitate and spin just part of the time and sometimes not at all. One time I will get a fast spin during the cycle and the next nothing at all. Thanks for all the suggestions btw...

Old 10-17-10, 12:51 PM
E
Pugsl,

Is there a way he can get to that switch or wires to it?, through some bottom access, to be able to test the wires or connector when the door is closed?, to see if the current is still passing through the switch?, when his machine does not run? If even the wire passes down where he can get to it, an amp clamp could go around the switch wires to test. You can buy small amp clamps at national tool chain store for quite cheap, that might be cheaper than needlessly buying another switch?

Old 10-18-10, 04:08 PM
D
Just to follow up. Had Sears come out and take a look. The tech quoted me $600 to repair ($129 to come out, the rest parts; motor, control board and door latch). Thanks, but no thanks. So, off to look for a new washer. Top loader will be first on the list...Thanks for all your help.

Old 10-18-10, 05:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bet he did not want to go through the pain in ass diagnosis. Never had to replace a motor for one of those.
Door lock and control board maybe needs both. Only way to find out if needs motor is ohm it. Did he send some time on phone with a tech guy? Wirng diagram very bad, no color codes for wires to check and terminals in a bad place to read.

Old 10-18-10, 05:51 PM
E
Sounds like he did not know what it was either, and said he'd replace everything in it but the kitchen sink, and then hoped you would say to forget it.

Old 10-18-10, 05:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
All top loaders will be high efficiency after 1st of year. Some of standard still out there but going fast. If you want a top loader look for Whirlpool built washer only.

Old 10-18-10, 09:00 PM
D
Back from Sears and picked a new top loader. Will be here Wednesday. Wife wanted a big ass huge capacity washer. I wanted something simple in a top loader model. I'm tired of kneeling with the front loader with no pedestal. She picked the Kenmore Elite 5.0 capacity 2900 model. With the $200 in rebates and haulaway I don't feel too bad. Yes, Pugsl, it's not a Whirlpool but there was a comparable Whirlpool next to it (at least it looked the same, slightly different gizmos) for about $100 more.

The tech who came out today was on the phone several times talking to someone about diagnosis. He was here about two hours so I think he gave it a good try. He said 11 years is good for the model I had and the newer front loaders will not last that long. He was able to get the thing to spin but had to hand start it but then the motor would quit until he gave the drum another manual spin. I just remember the first washer we had, a Kenmore, it lasted 23 years. I guess those days are gone. Too bad.

Old 10-19-10, 04:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes be gave it a good try and 11 years is about all they get. I don't recommend repairs over 150 for parts on that washer.