Old reliable Kenmore Heavy Duty Series 80 washer on last legs

Old 10-18-10, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 49 Posts
Old reliable Kenmore Heavy Duty Series 80 washer on last legs

Or at least I'm assuming it's on its last legs. Wife found some pieces of rusty metal in bottom today. Removed the agitator and the chunks are from the portion of the inner basket under the agitator about 6 inches up the shaft tunnel (or whatever the vertical space is called where the shaft comes up). Although we ran a test load with no leaks, I'm guessing that this is eventually going to let go altogether and the inner basket will start flopping around? The machine is somewhere in the 15-20 year old range; we've lived in our current residence for 11 years and it was nowhere near new when we moved in here. Not even sure of the exact model number as the id plate corroded off long ago. The basket works out to about 3.4 cuft mathematically (without subtracting for the agitator) so this is maybe a 3.2 cuft model?

So, couple of questions:

1. I'm guessing the buck and a half or so for a new inner basket would not be a good idea economically given the age of the machine.

2. Any general consensus on who's making good washers these days? We'll be looking top loader, basic machine, doesn't need to be huge capacity or have a built in Blu-Ray player.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-10, 05:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Post model # and I will see which washer you have, If not a belt drive washer it is worth repairing. Same washer was made up this year when EPA got into act. Not efficient enough. There are still a few of the basic washer out there but will all be gone by Jan 1. Can't be sold after that.

Old 10-18-10, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
Wish I knew the model #. The id tag that used to be riveted under the lid corroded off probably ten years ago; looked on the back and only number I found was the one stamped into the back which crossed to a back plate that was no longer available, no surprise there. Will take a quick look underneath to see what I can see.

Old 10-18-10, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Okay, no identifying numbers looks like (which will make it hard to buy a replacement tub I'm sure). Direct drive, appears like; motor runs horizontally and is connected to a gearbox. I did a look up on the inner basket using a model number mentioned elsewhere when referring to a Series 80 washer (not necessarily matching my particular model of course) and it was $160. Seems like a lot to spend considering the age; hate to spend that much (assuming I could actually come up with the right part#) and then have it crap some fatal piece 6 months from now.

Old 10-18-10, 06:10 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Isn't this one of those wig-wag Whirlpools where wig-wag solenoids can fail, or the wig-wag mechanism gets in a bind? I've had to work on these suckers.

Old 10-18-10, 06:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Should not be a wig wag type would be a belt drive if it was. Never recommend repair on those. to old. most baskets would probably would work but without model # you would be guessing. Tag was only place on washer where model # is.

Old 10-18-10, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
That's what I figured; next machine I'll Sharpie the model # in a dozen places for future reference. Of course if washers are as shoddily built as other things these days, a new one will be dead long before the id plate can corrode off.

Opinions on brands? My inclinations are GE, Whirlpool, Kenmore. Depending on which website reviews you read there is a wide range of opnions across the board. I really hate shopping for big-ticket items like this!

Old 10-18-10, 07:01 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What price do you classify as big ticket?

If you want something that works, and maybe looks nice, and don't care if it is part of a matching set, you can find good deals in the paper, ad papers, or even a used appliance store, Craigs List? - often for around $100-150 - that look really nice.

Old 10-19-10, 04:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only thing I recommend in top loaders is Whirlpool built washers (Kenmore , roper, HHgreg has there own brand name and best buy, Front loaders only LG (Kenmore has LG built washers to but have to ask sales person which ones they are)
Ecman I think has best idea, I don't like the top loaders for last couple of years, To many EPA rules on them.

Old 10-19-10, 06:27 AM
Group Moderator
I probably should have used the term "durable goods" vice big-ticket. I don't much care for appliances in general lately which is why I've been hanging on to what I've got until they die of old age. Have a Kenmore chest freezer that's about 20+ years old and the clothes dryer (mate to the sick washer) is probably pushing 20. On the other side, last year I had to replace a fairly pricey refrigerator that died after 8 years. Have a buddy who likes LG stuff, but pretty sure wife will insist on top loader.

Ran the used idea through my head last night, ec; just not sure I want the hassle (getting it from the seller to me) and risk. Going to hold out as long as possible, but I suspect on a load of clothers pretty soon it's going to give up the ghost (probably on the 31st).

Thanks guys.

Old 10-19-10, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
Update. Wife is willing to look at front loaders, so going to eyeball the LG's. Not much more than other brands and/or top loaders and a much better warranty. Of course the washer would get sick same week I broke a $700 part on the wrecker; good thing I'm independently wealthy and only tow for the fresh air and exercise.