induction cooktop wiring amperage limits


Old 10-28-10, 02:24 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: france
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
induction cooktop wiring amperage limits

Hi there,

we've recently purchased a new induction cooktop, the Fagor IFF 82R. Out of the box it's electrical connection is presented as bare wires (not a male plug), with an earth and then a pair of a pair of wires, i.e. 2 neutral and 2 live wires twisted together. The documentation says it will/can draw 32A at 240V.

My question is can i simply buy the male plug and plug it into a standard outlet, assuming i have a 32 Amp fuse on that circuit, or should we be getting new wires run to it by an electrician ? Is it ok to run 32 Amps through the standard plugs i can buy at the hardware store ?(how strict is the '16 amps' they have written on them) I'm renting and i don't no anything about the type of wiring in the house, although it is all brand new.

sorry if these seem like dumb questions


Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-10, 03:26 PM
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 6
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You have what is called a hard wire connection and it will require a junction box and flex connection to your existing box. You cannot connect this cook top to a 16 amp outlet or circuit. Breaker and wire must be rated according to the new cooktop
Is this taking the place of a Range?
If so you should have enough power in your current service to the range... if not you will need a new branch circuit installed to this new cooktop location.
Old 10-28-10, 03:29 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,583
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Post deleted. Didn't notice it was non-North American.

Last edited by ray2047; 10-28-10 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-28-10, 04:37 PM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 13,664
Received 220 Votes on 194 Posts
First off this is mostly a USA site and electrical connections vary from country to country. Second, most areas of the US do not allow you to do your own wiring if your renting. You should check with your landlord/super if this is allowed in France.

We have a guy from France here, I'm sure he will be around shortly.
Old 10-28-10, 07:40 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NE Wis / Paris France{ In France for now }
Posts: 4,807
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for sending me over here.,

OK let get to the matter In France we are pretty strict with the numbers of circuit and CU { Customer unit } size as well.

Before you do anything more with electrical system please talk to your landlord first and I am sure they will have to get a electrician to come out and deal with it

And The electrician will have to add a new 32 amp circuit plus local disconnect switch as well per French electrical codes.


P.S. if you want to reply this in French let me know I will translated it.
Old 10-29-10, 02:57 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: france
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ah ok cool. merci beaucoup everyone involved, we'll call the rental mob and get the pros involved.

cheers !
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: