Whirlpool Duet front loader grinding during spin cycle

Old 11-04-10, 05:04 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Duet front loader grinding during spin cycle

I've done a little research and it seems that it might have something to do with the rear bearing attached to the basket drive pulley. I've read that the seal sometimes breaks and water gets into the bearings and after doing a little investigating I see there is a little rust that'd dripping through the weep holes. I think I caught this a little early so I'm wondering if I could repair it. Could I just take it apart, clean it and replace the washers? Are there bearing repair kits available? Can anyone confirm that my suspicions are correct?

Here's a picture of the rust.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/288/img3466l.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-10, 05:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
No repair for bearing. Needs a rear tub and basket. Basket is either a lifetime warranty or a 10 year. Tub I think has a 5 year warranty. Labor is not covered

Old 11-05-10, 07:00 AM
J
I called Whirlpool

and they told me my particular model, the Duet Sport WFW8300sw04, only comes with a 1 year warranty - nothing more on parts, so I'm stuck. He told me he'd give me 25% off the basket but it still comes out to $170 at standard shipping.

I found this video online of a handyman who goes into detail on how to remove the bearings yourself. He seems to imply that I can take them to any bearing distributor and they can match them up. He sells them himself for around $20 but doesn't seem to stock my model. Since my machine is only two years old and I caught the problem relatively early maybe it wouldn't be too tough to pop out the old bearing and replace it with a new one. I called a local bearing distributor and he said it probably wouldn't be a problem to match it up. Do you foresee any difficulties with this idea or should I just shell out the 170 for the new basket and move on with my life. I do enjoy a challenge and if it doesn't work out I'd be out less than $20, but also will probably have to overnight the part or else be without a washer for a week.

Old 11-05-10, 03:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Basket might not be your problem, Rear tub is where the bearing is. If bearing has been bad long or froze the basket shaft wears down. If you found a site with instructions on replacing bearing I would go ahead and try it. Worst that can happen is you damage rear tub and would have to replace it.

Old 11-06-10, 09:19 PM
J
I should explain

that Whirlpool won't sell just the bearing, the basket that it's attached to has to be purchased as well. I downloaded the repair manual and it seems like a real mother of a job - basically have to take almost everything out of the machine to get to the basket. I got Whirlpool to give me 75% off the part so I went ahead and purchased it and it will arrive on Tuesday. If anyone has any experience taking apart a Duet Sport WFW8300sw04 I'm all ears. There are so many electric wires attached to the basket, my next washer is going to be bare bones.

Old 11-07-10, 05:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I do 1 every couple of weeks. We do it with 2 men but can be done by yourself. We do it from the front put have to cut green wire to back near pump. Since it will be your only one I would get washer where you can work from front and back. You have manual, follow it. Wires are not a problem will only plug in where they belong. We always use a marker on front tub where clips go. Makes it easier to reinstall. We put front tub down on floor, (do not forget to lube seal. I lube seal and shaft) than basket and lower rear tub down over shaft. be sure the rear tub is lined up and all the way down on front tub, Not any fun to take apart again to lube seal(i know)Do not miss a tab or will not go on. If alone take all the weights off first. mark where the springs go in tub. Use channel lock or vise grips pliers to pull tub together to start clips. Take pump all the way out and motor can slide to side or take it out. Any questions ask away. Since this is only one you do I would take it out back. You do not have to take dispenser out that way, Be careful of fill hose to dispenser, Disconnect it or can break fairly easily. Lift tab on plastic part and it will slide out.