Refrigerator Door Doesn't Stay Closed

Old 11-14-10, 06:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refrigerator Door Doesn't Stay Closed

Hi Forum,

The doors of my spare Refrigerator don't always remain closed. Its an 8 year old GE top and bottom that is kept in my Garage. At times the doors don't close/seal as well as I might expect; I think the freezer door has this problem more so than the refrigerator door. At times when the refrigerator door is closed it caused the freezer door to open (just a very small amount but enough to be a problem). It looks to me like the soft/flexible plastic seals around the doors (the part that makes contact with the freezer/refrigerator cabinet) are all good, I don't see any folds, bends, or tears. The problems occurs most frequently when my kids run grab a drink, close the door and don't notice the freezer door is now open a little bit.

Is this by chance a common problem? Is there an easy fix or some maintenance I can perform that will resolve it?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice,
Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-10, 06:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 296 Posts
My fridge does the same thing from time to time and it has always been caused by something placed too close to the door restricting it from closing easily. I'd check to make sure there is nothing in the way. It usually isn't a problem if shutting the door completely but shows up when you just shut it quickly.

Old 11-14-10, 11:18 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Besides Marksr oft encountered problem and solution -

- make sure door seals contacts fridge surface all the way around good, so magnetic seal has the most surface area to stick to.

Level fridge so it tilts back, and so doors have tendency to swing back closed on their own.

Make sure hinge-side gasket is not so tight it is causing bind.

Make sure door IS not "racked", out of plane. If it is, it will lose it's ability to want to stay stuck closed. You can tell by almost closing the door to within 1/4 to 1/2 inch and observe to see if the gap on the handle edge is uniform from top to bottom. If it is not, you have two choices: One is to simply grab the door in such a way to try to spring it. A better way is to loosen the door gasket and liner hold-down hex screws (there are many), then when loose, rack the door and while racked true, then tighten the screws back down. (The liner is what is responsible for keeping the doors on plane.)

Old 11-30-10, 01:57 PM
All,

Thanks for these ideas. I got around to taking a look and noticed that the rollers weren't set very well, the doors wouldn't swing shut by themselves. I also looked at the things mentioned above. After some adjustment of the rollers the doors are now closing and if the freezer opens a bit after a hard close of the fridge, it seems to close it self without problem.

Thanks again,
Andy