Shocked when touching other appliances and a 220V electric drier

Reply

  #1  
Old 11-17-10, 07:33 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shocked when touching other appliances and a 220V electric drier

Hello.

I have been shocked numerous times when touching other appliances or light fixtures and my Kenmore Super Plus 90 series electric drier. I am trying to figure out what might be causing this. The most obvious seems to be the ground nut on the back of the drier (that's labeled external ground), however I have no idea what to attach this nut to. I tried to attach it to the ground of a different circuit (120V) but that only seems to have blown the breaker. It also seems to me that an electric drier would be grounded through the plug, though the plug only has 3 wires...

I read somewhere else (in another post on this forum, I believe) that a similar issue may be caused by incorrect wiring in the socket, however I had an electrician friend of mine check the socket out for an unrelated problem and he said it was wired correctly. I bought the drier used from a neighborhood flea market which was supposedly repaired, however I'm not sure if maybe one of the three wires that connect the plug to the drier were put on wrong... I recently took the drier apart to replace the belt and noticed that these three wires were just screwed on there... Not sure if there is an easy way to tell if these wires have been attached correctly or not...

So, there it is, any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-17-10, 08:23 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,597
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
On a three wire plug-in at the dryer there should be a jumper between the center terminal and metal case of the dryer. There should be a white wire on the center terminal.

If you can take pictures of the cord connection in the dryer and the receptacle with the cover off we may be able to see something.
 
  #3  
Old 11-18-10, 03:22 AM
pugsl's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 8,360
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
UNPLUG DRYER, I would not try to use it until it is checked. Jumper is most likely problem but bought used it could have something internal wrong.
 
  #4  
Old 11-18-10, 07:36 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't seem to recall a white wire on the center post, but I'll take a picture of it and the socket tonight when I get home... Oh, another note I forgot to put in last night, I've been using the drier but it seems to take an awfully long time to dry even a small amount of clothes, my wife would put it on timed dry twice before all the clothes were dry... Will stop using it until it's fixed...
 
  #5  
Old 11-18-10, 10:13 AM
ray2047's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,597
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mpilotte View Post
I don't seem to recall a white wire on the center post, but I'll take a picture of it and the socket tonight when I get home... Oh, another note I forgot to put in last night, I've been using the drier but it seems to take an awfully long time to dry even a small amount of clothes, my wife would put it on timed dry twice before all the clothes were dry... Will stop using it until it's fixed...
If the white is on one of the outside terminals that would most likely explain the shock and the slow dry time. Assuming the jumper is in place on the center terminal you have a live shell relative to ground and the heating element is running on 120v not 240v.
 
  #6  
Old 11-21-10, 05:43 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, I finally had a chance to take a look at it... There is a white wire attached to the center post on the drier, however it disappears into the bottom of the drier. I cannot see anything that might be jumping it to the body. There is what I would call a jumper connecting the back of the control panel to the body of the drier, however it's a green wire and that's all it's connected to. You can see it on the left in this image:


There is another green wire that ends on the back of the drier with a label that says "External Ground Connector" however the other end of it also disappears into the bottom:


And here's the inside and outside of the socket itself:



Sorry about the fuzziness of these images... apparently my camera isn't meant for close-ups.

Thanks again for your help...
 
  #7  
Old 11-22-10, 05:33 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 12,893
Received 47 Votes on 40 Posts
There is a few things in play here:

1)Your box is not the correct box for that type of receptacle. I would be interested to see how that attaches to the box.
2) Your metal plate is also not correct. <-- this is not a huge issue but worth mentioning.

I don't believe the green wire is your issue. Check to see which terminal on the receptacle the wires connect to. The two straight slots should have the black and white wires connected to them. The L shaped slot should have the ground wire attached to it.

Picture #2 looks correct but if you have a meter, set it to Ohms and check your cord. The middle wire of the cord should be the L shaped pin on the cord cap.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: