Can anyone expalin.... Why?

Old 11-20-10, 03:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Can anyone expalin.... Why?

Dishwasher, Kenmore, SUD7000MS0: Ok, lost power to the panel, found that the thermal fuse was bad. Replaced fuse, without replacing wires. Fuse lasted about one full cycle and then blew again. Started reading to see what I did wrong or what would cause fuse to blow. Found several posts stating that wires HAD to be replaced also. So ordered new fuse and replaced with the wires this time.
Seems to be working.

My questions are:
1) why do the wires have to be replaced also? I ohmed the wires out and they checked good, .3 ohms, same as the new ones I installed. There were no loose connections.
2) this is a thremal fuse, what creates the heat? Current running through the fuse?
3) If for some reason this thing blows again, what would be the next things to look at?

This one is just begging me to better understand the therory behind how it works!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-10, 02:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Interesting. Where are these wires, in relation to the fuse, that are supposed to be replaced?: A wire on each side of the fuse? Is the fuse on a board, or is it some sort of inline fuse in the wiring? I am guessing they must think that if the fuse got hot enough to blow, that the wires next to it maybe become crunchy and no longer may be able to pass current effectively? Becoming like a resistor? Maybe it does not always happen, but that is some general rule of thumb? Maybe if a person had a one-time instant failure, it would not be so bad that way. But say the wire was hot for a long time, but not QUITE hot enough to blow the fuse....maybe this causes the wire to break down over time?

Old 11-21-10, 11:12 AM
Yes the wires are on each side of the Thermal fuse. One runs from a door switch to the fuse, the other is from the fuse to the control board. There is 120VAC going through this circuit. The thermal fuse is set at 98C or 208F. If you would like to look it up, Part number is 3376359. I just didn't see anything "special about the wires. Unless they, to, break down during this "heated" time, but didn't see any evidence of this on the outside. May have to strip off the insulation and see what I see....