kenmore 70 series spins and drains at same time

Old 11-22-10, 11:53 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
kenmore 70 series spins and drains at same time

70 series
model 110 22722 101
serial CL 4759428 (the last 8 might be a B?)
type 111

initial symptom was wet clothes / slow spin; but I tested the washer and found that it is trying to spin and drain simultaneously.

It will run through the wash/agitate cycle as normal.. but when it comes time to drain, instead of draining for a few minutes and then kicking into spin, it kicks into spin as soon as it starts draining.

The drain speed is good and it empties the water out pretty fast, but for a minute or two the washer is trying to spin a basket full of water... I believe it has burnt out the clutch trying to spin the full heavy basket - even when it's empty you can hold the basket still (takes some effort) when it's in "spin" mode.

So I know I need to replace the clutch, but what do I do about the spinning and draining at the same time? Is this likely a problem in the timer?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-10, 04:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Spinning and draining is not a problem, If should drain out first than spin. To do this it has to agitate for several minutes than it will drain. As soon as it stops and restarts it will than spin and drain. Even so the reason you need a clutch is there is a oil leak that is traveling up from gearcase. Look inside cabinet about 6 inches from floor and see if there is a streak of oil there. That is the reason the basket doesn't spin fast enough.

Old 11-23-10, 02:15 AM
N
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
Spinning and draining is not a problem, If should drain out first than spin. To do this it has to agitate for several minutes than it will drain. As soon as it stops and restarts it will than spin and drain. Even so the reason you need a clutch is there is a oil leak that is traveling up from gearcase. Look inside cabinet about 6 inches from floor and see if there is a streak of oil there. That is the reason the basket doesn't spin fast enough.
I spent part of the day reading up on how the whirlpool direct drive machines work, and watching how my particular machine is working. I definitely have at least two problems.

First, It does NOT drain out first, and then spin. If I run the washer through a complete cycle, here's what it does:

fills fine
agitates fine
stops completely
starts pumping water, AND spinning at the same time, for about 3 minutes. It spins very slowly at first (the basket is FULL of water).
stops completely
starts spinning again and works itself up to about half of the normal spin speed.
..the rest of the cycle completes, and on the second spin (after the rinse) it repeats the same process as above.

I don't ever recall the machine trying to spin with a full basket of water before; so that is a "new" behavior.

From what I've read, I have a problem with the "neutral drain", which requires dismantling the gearbox to install a neutral drain kit.

I haven't checked yet to see if there is any oil leak, but wouldn't attempting to spin a basket 100% full of water eventually burn the clutch out?

Old 11-23-10, 03:03 AM
N
I took a look under the washer and indeed there is an oil leak. nothing dripped on the ground, but you can see a bit of a "path" where the clutch assembly has been slinging a tiny bit of oil in it's rotational path.

starting to look like this one's not worth repairing. clutch, oil, neutral drain kit, the special spanner wrench, and then whatever parts/seals I need to fix the oil leak, plus shipping, I'll be over $100 into a 10 year old washer. I can get a new whirlpool DD washer for about $250 locally; is there even any logic in fixing the old one?

Old 11-23-10, 05:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
If you still find a DD washer they aren't the same as your old one. EPA said can not sell old type any more after 1st of year, Not efficient enough. The one's still out there mostly have water temp and load controls that most of my customers have disliked.