Gas or electric dryer??

Old 11-23-10, 02:00 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas or electric dryer??

We have electric... and it's on its last legs. I've read that gas is less expensive to operate. The deal is, we have gas run to the house... but not to the laundry room. What I'm not sure about is how long before I make back the difference between gas & electric price + installation cost... in other words - is it worth it?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-10, 02:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Where I am it costs three times as much to use electric. You would need to find the difference first. You could actually do that mathematically but someone has probably already figured it out for you. I'd call the gas company and ask. Then you have to figure out how much you use the dryer. Also you will find that initial price of a gas dryer is a bit more.

One final problem is even though the only difference between an electric dryer and a gas is the heat source you will often find fewer gas models at the retailer then electric. Probably what you want is available in gas but the retailer will try to convince you it isn't so they can sell you what they have in stock.

Old 11-23-10, 05:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
dryer on last legs??? Takes to long to dry? Most dryer problems start with vent to outside. Get vent cleaned even if you get new dryer. New dryer will not fix clogged vent problem.

Old 11-24-10, 09:23 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I bought gas and do not regret the decision

Something gets burned to make electricity and then the electricity is used to make heat for the dryer. I prefer to burn something at my house to make the heat, seems like it removes one inefficient step from the process.