Kitchenaid superba repair

Old 11-25-10, 09:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Kitchenaid superba repair

hello

Happy Holidays

my kitchen fridge dies few days go.

compressor does not start, resulting in no cooling; fan works.

model is KSRS25FFGWH02

initially, there was a continuous click coming from the rear bottom area, tuesday i have noticed water puddle and found it's all defrosted

found that click is coming from a chocolate color piece sitting on top of a white piece, both connected to the black canister, which i assume is compressor.

white piece was somewhat hot in touch; brown piece is shaddered inside, rattles and pieces of junk coming out.

with some snooping around found that brown piece is relay, #2188393 and white piece is overload, #2187145 (production alternate)/4387835(service) whatever this means.

went to Reliable Parts yeaterday. of course, it's couple weeks to order parts.

they sold me a part R041, can't tell if it's 0 or O, by Supco.

i need help though

1. is it ok to install? only 20 bucks, but i do not want to fry something else
2. i have 3 prongs, in reverse triangle arrangement, on compressor; 2 on the top and 1 on the bottom, just like on the connection instructions above; do i follow the same color coding they suggest?
3. 2 black wires are to be connected to 2 thick black(power?) wires that were connected to the original relay?
4. i am ending up with 2 loose wires, red and white, coming from fan; those should be simply spliced into the red and black wires on combination relay? does it matter whicj wires they are spliced into? i mean, say, red goes to red, white to black, or white to red red to black?

compressor is embraco fs 90haw; terminals are either not marked, or it's tiny black on black and shoot me i can't decipher what it says.

i had contacts marked, but did a mistake and ended up with 2 out of 4 contacts marked as 1. i know red wire from fan goes to the white, overload piece; i can match original wiring to the original parts, but am not sure how to match Supco piece contacts to compressor/fan wires. once again, ORIGINAL fan wires are red and white.

please, help to connect it all right, most thankful

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-10, 03:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Make sure you follow directions so correct wires go to marked compressor terminals S (start) R(run) and C(common). They WILL be marked on your compressor. Screw that up and you might really mess something up. I can't see the instructions/drawings clearly enough to assist further.

Old 11-25-10, 06:28 PM
well, daahh..

that's exactly why i need help, as it is NOT marked on compressor terminals. and if it is, i can not see it.

Old 11-26-10, 05:30 PM
question solved.

found post place else that those supco universal kits send too much power down the wires, and burn control board and whatever else.

so, i returned it. one thing i have learned through days since tuesday, when we found it all thawed, is to stay away from a local Reliable Parts store. absolute incompetence, rudeness, lack of any desire to help customer, and continuous turning blame on me, as ignorant customer. even when i showed up with kitchenaide printout of parts numbers for exactly my fridge.

anyhow, just had repair kit ordered from ebay. includes overload and relay just like i had on mine.

meantime, turned around and bought year old kenmore, same size, from craigslist for $450.

Old 11-27-10, 12:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So you have another new relay/overload(on order) AND a new (used) fridge(on order)?

I can't recall not seeing a compressor that has the abbreviated letters at the side of each terminal. But if it didn't, let's say, there has got to be a way to identify which is which off the wiring diagram at least.

Was the parts place rude to you before, or after you returned that first overload/relay?

Old 11-27-10, 04:07 PM
1. we were totally slammed when our kitchenaid died. we cook, so we use fridge a lot; much produce was frozen; we lucked out as it coincided with 14 degree nights and snow fall, so we managed to preserve most of the food out in the cold and snow mounds.
2. we have rather large garage, so we decided to have backup fridge in there. hence, fixing our kitchenaid. it was very good one, and apparently much better build than year old kenmore we have now. anything we touch in kenmore feels cheap and brittle.
3. like i said, we found year old kenmore, with all the same features, on c-list for $450. it's in use now.

i understand it may sound strange and wasteful, but we have learned to have few things: spare car; spare fridge; power generator. eg, we marinate our own pickles and such, and gather mushrooms; inlaw is addicted fisherman. we are always in need for rather large storage for all this. we could easily use several fridges.

i finally found exact piece for relay. should be here next week. it was mind boggling, how many sub models they had in the main model style, all with plethora of parts.

as of the parts guy, i have a fella who does maintenance for years. he showed me exactly what was broken and how to fix it. when i showed up at Reliable Parts, they told me order will take 3 weeks, but one of there csrs suggested that universal kit. i brought my buddy to install it, his first question was - who sold you this, older guy with gray hair? yes. buddy gave me a nice history on that fella, as he's been shopping there for years. his bottom line was - that guy is known for being incompetent and pushing wrong parts. buddy was adamant not to even attempt installing that universal kit, as it would have damaged something else.
next day i found post about those kits, on one of the fridge pro forums, saying that they send too much power out and fry control boards in about an hour.

i found exact parts sheet from kitchenaide site for my model, friday morning called Reliable Parts and 1. spelled exact model number to Patrick on the phone; 2. gave him both relay and overload parts numbers; Patrick confirmed relay being in stock and overload being in Sacramento store.
happy, i said - i am on my way. spent one hr in black friday traffic getting there, open the door - well, Patrick on the phone turned out to be same guy who sold me universal kit. he looks at print out for parts, and says
- yes, we do have that kit in stock.
kit now?
well, you did not give me full model number over the phone(i start slowly boling inside, as i did).
he shows up with a box that has 2 overloads and one relay in it. i have one that came from my fridge in my hand, look at his, mine has 3 contacts, his has 2.
it's a wrong part.
well, they must have changed design.
i don't care, it's a wrong part.
he tosses - literally - instructions from the box and barks - well, look for yourself.

at this pint, i go very calm and quiet, which is my "pissed hot" mode.

look, i have relay in my hand, has 3 contacts, yours has 2. i can't use it, i'll end up with loose wire.
then call a service man on this.

btw, here's your universal kit; it is known to fry control boards on fridges, you shouldn't have sold it to me.
i am not going to take it back, you did not know what you were talking about.
did you hear me saying anything about refund? i simply don't need it.

he tossed it into trash can.

so, let me put this into perspective. i am a practice manager and health care practitioner. i handle very difficult patients. words like "sorry, i apologize, let me try to help you" usually quench any situation. Patrick, apparently, was born in a country where those words don't exist. this, on my book, is RUDE.

Old 11-29-10, 06:24 PM
ok, i have my fridge up and running.

i had broken relay replaced with whirlpool part # 4387535, which is a repair kit containg 3 contact relay, overload, and some wire.

just in case someone ever reads this post, here's warning about that universal kit.

The part they sold you will probaly work for a while, BUT, it is rated for a 1/4 horsepower compressor,your compressor, on your box, is rated 1/5-to 1/6 horsepower. It will and could, there has been reports, of them getting too hot and shorting out wires. I would find a factory parts place and get the one it calls for. The 4387835(exactly what i figured myself!) is what I would use, it comes will everything, relay, overload, cover. Its around $50- $55. On your wires, from the box, the red and white, they will come from a loom from inside throught the back, are your power wires, the other two come from the condenser motor. The relay ought to have 5 wires, 3 are red-black-white, they go to the compressor, the other 2 are black they hook up to the power wires. Hope this helps.