Kenmore Washer: cold water barely comes out (fills)

Old 12-02-10, 11:10 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Washer: cold water barely comes out (fills)

Kenmore top loading 80 series washer Model 92282100 (yes it's old, but it's been faithful!)
I usually use the warm wash/cold rinse cycle, but have tried other cycles and still have the same problem.

When the washer tries to fill with warm water, only the hot water starts. If I slowly flip the wall shut-off for COLD off and on a couple of times, then the cold water eventually comes out, too. I have had the wall shut-offs and the hoses from the the wall to the washer checked - they are OK.
Something inside the washer tries to control the mix of hot/warm water, and just won't let the cold come through (except for a trickle). When the rinse (cold only ) cycle starts, barely a trickle comes through, and I have to go flip the wall shut-off (from off to on) lots of time (waiting a minute seems to help?) before the cold water finally comes through.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-10, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Where the water hooks to the machine (or thereabouts) you should have 2 solenoid operated valves. Sounds like the cold solenoid is either not opening completely or the valve is blocked.

Flipping the shutoff on and off would apply and relieve pressure..so I would suspect the solenoid/valve is sticking.

Find the solenoid...turn it to cold water only and tap the solenoid with a screwdriver handle..see if the flow increases.

The Pro's can tell you more, but often the valve part is one piece and the solenoids are separate (might be thinking of refrigerators?). You model number comes up to a oven at the places I use....

Old 12-02-10, 04:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
One of 2 problems, Easy one is to take off cold water hose at washer and take screen out of valve inlet and clean it. If that doesn't work than you need a fill valve.