GE Refrigerator foul tasting water from dispenser

Old 12-30-10, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Refrigerator foul tasting water from dispenser

Hi,

I have a GE refrigerator with a water dispenser. Recently, the water has started to smell and taste musty. The refrigerator itself does not have an internal filter but we have a filter system hooked up before the water goes to the refrigerator. I've changed those filters, but there was no change in the taste. I tried adding a couple cap fulls of bleach and flushing the line and that help temporarily, but the fowl taste and smell came back. I've done some tests and the water tastes fine going into the refrigerator and it tastes when the refrigerator has been flushed and the water has not had time to be chilled. The fowl taste seems to be happening once the water gets chilled. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-10, 01:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Not sure how you flushed it, but try this. Remove your filter and put in a little bleach in the holder and reassemble it without the filter. Let it cycle through not only the water outlet on the fridge, but the ice maker as well. You will smell the chlorine as soon as it come out the water faucet. Stop and let it cycle a little, maybe overnight. Discard the ice if you want (no damage, but a chlorine taste/smell). Flushing the lines cleaned the lines. You need to clean the mechanism inside the fridge, so maybe that will keep it from coming back. Let us know how it goes.