GE front load washer - won't spin heavy loads

Old 01-03-11, 10:43 AM
GE front load washer - won't spin heavy loads

We have a GE front load laundry washer - model # GBVH5200JOWW.

If we put in light fabrics loads, it all works fine; but if we put in heavy items (e.g. bath towels), whether small or large load, it won't get up to high speed on the spin cycle. It starts turning, but then the whole washer starts to shake, and then the drum stops, the timer backs up a few minutes, and it tries again. This can go on for a long time - and if we hug the washer to stop the shaking, sometimes it does finally get to a high speed spin. We've tried re-arranging the load, mixing small items with large items, and numerous other strategies.

I have already ensured that:
- shipping bolts are removed
- washer is level

The unit is about 2 years old. We are not sure if it has always done that, or if it is recent; but it is getting worse.

Please advise what can be done to narrow down the problem.

Thanks,
Jake

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-11, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
ake sure all 4 feet are solid on the floor. No wiggles very important. Put a couple of towels in washer and get them wet. put washer in spin cycle and adjust 1 front foot until washer smooths out, should take a a few small turns. If starts to shake more going the wrong way. Try this and let us know if fixes washer.

Old 01-03-11, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 3
My front loader shook and did the same thing. This was my first front loader and they told me something about the floors being solid for these types of units. Well I can jump on my floors and its like a wrestling ring.(they flex alot) Needless to say my washer walks right out of the closet.

What did I do. Pulled the pedestal draw out, drilled holes in the leg cross member brackets and screwed the washer to the floor. Have not had a problem since. 2" lag bolts.

My 2 cents

Mike NJ

Old 01-09-11, 09:46 AM
I admit I was skeptical, but adjusting the feet appears to have solved the problem.

Thanks!

Jake

Old 01-09-11, 04:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
been working on frontloaders for years and that is most common problem.