LG Dishwasher Leaking

Old 05-31-11, 12:23 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LG Dishwasher Leaking

My LG dishwasher (LDF6920ST) has begun leaking at the bottom of the door. There is a rubber seal there, but LG Customer Service told me it cannot be separately ordered - I have to buy a complete door assembly for nearly $200! What nonsense. Anyone had an issue like this with LG? Any clue where I might find a replacement seal?

Old 05-31-11, 03:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 52 Posts
Found an item labeled as door gasket here:

Model LDF6920ST Parts from RepairClinic.com

Don't know if that's the right part or not. That would be pretty stupid if you had to buy the door to get the seal.

Old 05-31-11, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
I have an LG dishwasher that was my BiL who had LG service guy try to fix it twice (maybe 3 times) They then pretty much said they were on their own. I got it and ordered a part from Repair Clinic what I thought was causing the problem. Been using it since. Bottom line is LG is not known for their good customer service.

BTW - the issue with my dishwasher was it would leak water here and there. Not all them time. I replaced the part that measures the water as it is going in to the wash cabinet.

Old 06-01-11, 08:43 AM
M
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Found an item labeled as door gasket here:

Model LDF6920ST Parts from RepairClinic.com

Don't know if that's the right part or not. That would be pretty stupid if you had to buy the door to get the seal.
It is not the right part. That is the door gasket (I've already ordered it by mistake once). The LG parts distributor for this area sent me the exploded parts views of the dishwasher and the gasket/seal I need is not even shown.

Old 06-01-11, 09:47 AM
E
How old is the machine? Is the seal torn, and have you tried to just clean it up since the leak is not continuous? You might try also to use a seal lubricant if the seal appears to be in fairly good shape still. I have never tried this on a dishwasher seal but I use a rubber seal lubricant on my pool DE filter housing seal profile after cleaning it, and that seals has to hold back 25 lbs. pressure and it eliminates any leaks upon reassembly. It conditions the rubber to completely do it's job. Under $10 a tube at a pool supply place. Perhaps there are other products also you could try first before replacing the seal completely. I am wondering that if the seal is not readily available from LG, complete seal failure may not be that common of a problem and whether just lubricating it is what is often done by service people. Just a thought.

Old 06-01-11, 05:39 PM
M
The dishwasher is less than 2 years old. The seal is not torn. Thanks for the tip about the seal lubricant. I will try that.

Old 06-17-12, 07:28 PM
T
same lg model with same leakiingoor problem

what did you do to finally resolve this problem

Old 09-15-12, 11:28 AM
E
The reason the gasket is not sold separately is that it is crimped in place. I agree that reason for not selling is unacceptable to a good tech or anyone! Yes, I have a solution instead of the $150 inner door LG forces on you, go NAPA Auto Parts buy for $25 Ameriseal 19600 door seal. Tug pull out old bottom seal. Use a small 90 degree carpenters nail puller or similar angle device and bend out the door metal gasket groove, so the new gasket fits, takes 5 minutes. Insert new gasket and cut to length cause you get 10 feet. Now you need to recrimp. I used a tile cutters pliers, but you could use pliers with tubing on jaws to protect rubber. Now recrimp squeeze over the gasket strange as it seems. Your done in 30 minutes. If you find a better gasket, please post for others.
PS I will never buy any LG appliance again, bad design horrible support, not made to last

Old 09-15-12, 06:54 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
The seal may not be the problem at all. I would also be sure to inspect the lower spray arm. If the spray arm separates slightly under pressure, it will spray water out the end of the bar directly at the door and seal as it rotates. This many times will cause a leak at the bottom of the door. Repairing or replacing the lower spray arm will stop a lot of door leaks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: