Whirlpool Washer Grinding but Won't Spin

Old 06-09-11, 06:30 PM
H
hth
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Washer Grinding but Won't Spin

My washer Whirlpool GST9679PW1 won't spin anymore. During the last cycle of a wash last night it drained then I heard grinding, clicking from the washer. I came to inspect and found that the tub win't spin any more. The motor was running but tub won't spin, grinding/clicking noise come from the bottom. What would be the problem?

Three months ago I replaced the water pump + Agitator Directional Cogs and saw oil leak splashing around the bottom. I don't know for sure where the oil came from. Was it a sign of something going on causing the washer not spinning?

Thx

Old 06-09-11, 08:41 PM
H
hth
I removed the motor and found out the coupling broken. I placed an order. However I see something like a belt but it just stays loose around the gearcase (please see the link below for the picture). At that position I don't see it does anything. Do you know what it is and where it belong to? Thx.

Broken Coupling

Old 06-10-11, 04:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Coupler is all you need. That rubber thing is a vibration damper, most are gone by now. While under there loopk for a streak of oil about 6 inches from floor inside cabinet. If there you need a top seal for gearcase and clutch.

Old 06-10-11, 05:04 AM
A
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Check

the problem you are having is that your Whirlpool top load washer won't spin dry the clothes, follow this procedure to determine if the problem is a broken motor coupler.

Set the washer on the regular cycle, large load and let it fill. After the washer fills to the selected level, the motor should start and the agitator should start agitating.

If you hear the motor running, but the agitator doesn't move at all, do the following. Stop the washer and set the timer on the spin cycle and let it run.

If the washer motor runs and the washer empties the water from the tank, but it won't spin, that is an indication that the motor coupler is not turning the transmission at all.

The motor coupler is made of two pieces of plastic called fingers and a hard rubber piece that goes in between the two fingers. One of the fingers is attached to the motor and the other finger is attached to the transmission. The had rubber round piece goes between the two fingers. When one of the plastic fingers breaks, the motor is no longer coupled to the transmission and the washer will not agitate or spin dry the clothes. The reason that the motor coupler breaks before it should, it is that the user overloads the washer. People stuff the washer with too much clothes, big comforters, small placer rugs, snickers, etc.

Another reason is that the washer is used every day; normally the washer is used 3 times a week. So if you have a washer that is 5 years old and you use it every day, it has the wear and tear of a washer that is 10 years old.

Replacing the motor coupler is not hard to do, once you see how the repair is done. You will save at least $100 by replacing the motor coupler yourself.

I hope this this information has been of help to you in determining if the motor coupler is the problem when your Whirlpool top load washer is not spinning the clothes dry.

Old 06-12-11, 11:02 AM
H
hth
Originally Posted by athena3 View Post
the problem you are having is that your Whirlpool top load washer won't spin dry the clothes, follow this procedure to determine if the problem is a broken motor coupler.

Set the washer on the regular cycle, large load and let it fill. After the washer fills to the selected level, the motor should start and the agitator should start agitating.

If you hear the motor running, but the agitator doesn't move at all, do the following. Stop the washer and set the timer on the spin cycle and let it run.

If the washer motor runs and the washer empties the water from the tank, but it won't spin, that is an indication that the motor coupler is not turning the transmission at all.

The motor coupler is made of two pieces of plastic called fingers and a hard rubber piece that goes in between the two fingers. One of the fingers is attached to the motor and the other finger is attached to the transmission. The had rubber round piece goes between the two fingers. When one of the plastic fingers breaks, the motor is no longer coupled to the transmission and the washer will not agitate or spin dry the clothes. The reason that the motor coupler breaks before it should, it is that the user overloads the washer. People stuff the washer with too much clothes, big comforters, small placer rugs, snickers, etc.

Another reason is that the washer is used every day; normally the washer is used 3 times a week. So if you have a washer that is 5 years old and you use it every day, it has the wear and tear of a washer that is 10 years old.

Replacing the motor coupler is not hard to do, once you see how the repair is done. You will save at least $100 by replacing the motor coupler yourself.

I hope this this information has been of help to you in determining if the motor coupler is the problem when your Whirlpool top load washer is not spinning the clothes dry.
it was a broken coupler. Thx

Old 06-12-11, 11:12 AM
H
hth
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
Coupler is all you need. That rubber thing is a vibration damper, most are gone by now. While under there loopk for a streak of oil about 6 inches from floor inside cabinet. If there you need a top seal for gearcase and clutch.
The rubber thing, as you called, looks new. I cannot figure out where to put it back because it does not look like at the right place. Also I cannot tell what the top seal for gearcase and clutch is. Can you look at the link and tell me where it is? Thx.
Brake, clutch, gearcase, motor and pump parts replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL GST9679PW1 AUTOMATIC WASHER | AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 06-12-11, 03:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Forget about rubber thing throw it away, dose nothing, Do you need a top seal? Is there oil inside cabinet? Top seal is in gearcase picture #8 part #3. clutch picture # 4 part #5. don't replace seal if not needed.

Old 06-12-11, 11:47 PM
H
hth
Forget about rubber thing throw it away, dose nothing, Do you need a top seal? Is there oil inside cabinet? Top seal is in gearcase picture #8 part #3. clutch picture # 4 part #5. don't replace seal if not needed.
Yes I do see oil inside the cabinet. I will order the shaft seal for gearcase. Do I need to add oil back to the gearcase? If I do then what oil is that and where can I get it?

Thx for your time. I really appreciate your help.

Old 06-13-11, 04:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
do this Google search whirlpool gearcase oil will come up with a page or more of answers. also Google gearcase repair lots of help there. I think there is a site with a video.

Old 06-14-11, 02:32 PM
H
hth
do this Google search whirlpool gearcase oil will come up with a page or more of answers. also Google gearcase repair lots of help there. I think there is a site with a video.
thanks. Another quick question: how much oil is enough to refill the gearcase, like 1/2 or 3/4 of the case?

Old 06-14-11, 04:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good question We don't rebuild in field, We just replace them.I have never taken one apart to find out. for DIY it's 5'00$ seal against a 150 gearcase. Would cost customer to much for us to rebuild.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: