Over the range micro trips breaker, has no power

Old 07-20-11, 05:24 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Over the range micro trips breaker, has no power

My 5 year old Whirlpool microwave suddenly stopped working. No light, no display, nada.
I replaced the main fuse, as per a youtube tutorial and still nothing. Checked the breaker and it was tripped.
While microwave was unplugged I flipped the breaker. When it was plugged back in I immediately heard the "snap" of the breaker tripping again.
I plugged the micro into a standard orange extension cord and plugged it in elsewhere and it didn't trip any breakers.
My cousin came over, replaced fuse again and tested the entire panel behind the display, where the fuse also is. She says everything on the board tests fine.
Any chance you could help with this conundrum?

Old 07-20-11, 07:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! If the microwave worked on another breaker, then it highly possible the breaker controlling the microwave is faulty. It happens. Replace the breaker with a new one and let us know how that goes.

Old 07-20-11, 08:08 PM
D
Thanks for the helpful reply, but I plugged in the microwave and it *didn't* work elsewhere. Sorry if I mistyped.
It just didn't trip the breaker, but it's still dead even in another plug on an extension cord.

Old 07-20-11, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
You say your replaced the fuse and then you mention the breaker. The "breaker" your talking about, is it in a receptacle (outlet)? Does it have a "test" and "reset" buttons? If it does then your are talking about a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter or GFCI. If the microwave it tripping a GFCI then your issue could be with the microwave, not the GFCI.

To test it, plug in the microwave into another GFCI protected circuit and see if it trips. There should be another one in the kitchen, bathroom or outdoors. If it does, the problem is with the microwave. If not, change the problem GFCI.

Old 07-20-11, 08:21 PM
D
editing for clarity

Sorry, I am not in anyway experienced with these issues. Let me explain.
I shut the door on my micro and it went completely dead. No warning, just dead.
The circuit in my garage that is located in a green box with lots of black switches was forward, when all the rest are back. I don't know what that's called.
I replaced the fuse INSIDE the microwave. It is a ceramic 20 amp fuse.
Had the control panel tested with some electrical doo-hikky.
I plugged the micro back in (not a GFCI plug) and the black switch in the garage again flipped forward.
I then plugged the micro into an orange extension cord and plugged the extension cord into several different outlets and it did not trip any breakers.
I do believe the problem is with the micro, but whatever it is, it's causing the circuit breaker to trip.
It's been suggested that it is a short within the power supply inside the microwave.

I hope I am explaining this correctly. I am so sorry my words aren't clear.
Thank you all again! I really appreciate the patience and advice.

Last edited by DarlinKaty; 07-20-11 at 08:22 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-20-11, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
I follow you now.
I'm guessing you will find the fuse is blown again, or something else has blown.
I'm sorry to say, but it sounds like you microwave is dead.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: