GE Profile dishwasher - no water

Old 08-16-11, 06:55 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Profile dishwasher - no water

Hi all-

I have a GE Profile dishwasher. Model # PDW8200N00BB. Serial # HM865817B

When I start the dishwasher, the dishwasher sounds like it is going through its cycles, the metal heater coil along the bottom of the dishwasher gets very hot, and the soap drops in to the dishwasher. It also sounds like there is noise coming from the dishwasher, which I assume is the pump running. However, there is no water.

To add a wrinkle, we just came back from a 10 day vacation and this is the first time we have run the dishwasher since returning. Before we leave for vacation, we shut off the water to the house and drained all the water from the pipes by opening the downstairs bathroom faucets.

I am relatively handy but know nothing about dishwashers. Where should I start with this? I am guessing an airlock or some sort of valve that "dried out" and got stuck? I have no idea.

Thanks!

Old 08-16-11, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
I would look at the line from the valve to where it hooks to the dishwasher. Some are of a flood safe design and turn the water off automatically.

Check if you have flood safe here. There are also the reset procedure. If you dont have post back.

FloodSafe® Automatic Water Shutoff Connectors - New Products - Watts

Mike NJ

Old 08-16-11, 07:31 PM
U
Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
I would look at the line from the valve to where it hooks to the dishwasher. Some are of a flood safe design and turn the water off automatically.

Check if you have flood safe here. There are also the reset procedure. If you dont have post back.

FloodSafe® Automatic Water Shutoff Connectors - New Products - Watts

Mike NJ

Wow, that's a really cool water connector. I'm going to have to get some of those!

But no, we don't have them. Also, I shut the water off to the house probably 3 or 4 times a year and it hasn't been a problem before.

While I have been waiting for replies, I took the kick plate off just to take a peek underneath to check for leaks and such. No leaks and the pump seems to be operating.

Old 08-16-11, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
Wee you dont want those hoses trust me.

Next since you have the kick plate off, turn off the water. Disconnect the line at the washer and stick in a bucket. Turn on valve to see if you have water.

If you have water the best I can say is shut the power to the DW. If may reset the elcetronics.

Do you here the seloniod clicking?

Mike NJ

Old 08-16-11, 08:29 PM
U
Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
Wee you dont want those hoses trust me.

Next since you have the kick plate off, turn off the water. Disconnect the line at the washer and stick in a bucket. Turn on valve to see if you have water.

If you have water the best I can say is shut the power to the DW. If may reset the elcetronics.

Do you here the seloniod clicking?

Mike NJ
I checked the water line since last posting. There is water coming to the dishwasher. I reset the circuit breaker to the dishwasher (twice). Once because I could smell something cooking and I thought the darn thing was going to burn, but it was just the water element getting really hot with no water running over it. I reset it again to see if it would reset (like I do my computer!) and no luck. I suspect something is seriously broken.

I called a repair person and he is coming tomorrow. I think I'm just going to have to eat the $90 service call this time. Thanks for trying though.

Old 08-16-11, 08:40 PM
S
I have found that if a dishwasher sits for a while it dont matter what make, it needs to be primed. Dump a pitcher full of water into the bottom of the dishwasher and try starting it. It has worked for me everytime I have done it. I can't explain why but it works.

Old 08-16-11, 08:54 PM
U
Originally Posted by Stevo77767 View Post
I have found that if a dishwasher sits for a while it dont matter what make, it needs to be primed. Dump a pitcher full of water into the bottom of the dishwasher and try starting it. It has worked for me everytime I have done it. I can't explain why but it works.
You are the man!!!!! That worked perfectly, and you saved me $90 bucks!! I owe you a beer

EDIT: wait, maybe not. When I put a couple of pitchers of water in, the dishwasher runs for a while with water and then it runs dry. Something else must be going on

Old 08-16-11, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
If you dont hear the click of the seloniod then is shot. Get a new selonid. Its easy to replace.

Mike NJ

Old 08-16-11, 09:23 PM
S
hmmm then it sounds like it is stuck in the drain mode. When you first start it does it drain right away? Then continusly make that sound as if it is draining? Kind of a wah ahhhhh ahhhhh ahhhh sound? If it does, then it is the selinoid, it is stuck and not closing the drain. Usually the Priming it with water always does the trick for me..

Old 08-16-11, 09:54 PM
U
hmmm then it sounds like it is stuck in the drain mode. When you first start it does it drain right away? Then continusly make that sound as if it is draining? Kind of a wah ahhhhh ahhhhh ahhhh sound? If it does, then it is the selinoid, it is stuck and not closing the drain. Usually the Priming it with water always does the trick for me..
Yeah, when I poured the pitchers of water in (3 large pitchers) I could tell the water was going right down the drain. But if I closed the door quickly and started the dishwasher, it would run with water for the whole wash cycle. But as soon as the dishwasher drained and went into rinse mode, it would run dry.

Old 08-16-11, 09:58 PM
S
Sorry man its your Selinoid then. Simple fix, but not sure how much the part is. I am sure it is less than the $90 service charge.

Old 08-16-11, 10:00 PM
U
Sorry man its your Selinoid then. Simple fix, but not sure how much the part is. I am sure it is less than the $90 service charge.

Well, that's the way it goes. I don't know how to replace it myself.

I haven't had much luck with GE appliances. This one is only 4 years old.

Old 08-17-11, 10:46 AM
U
He, he. Now it's working fine. I also played with the float in the dishwasher pan along with some more pitchers of water, and now it appears to be working. Anyway, thanks for your help. Hopefully it will keep working!

Old 08-17-11, 07:07 PM
S
there you go I hope it keeps working for ya

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: