Kenmore 80 Series washer - will not spin and drain

Old 09-04-11, 02:28 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore 80 Series washer - will not spin and drain

Have a Kenmore 80 Series washer...lid switch is good and so is the motor coupler. It fills and washes but will not spin/drain water. There is a low humming sound when you attempt to set it to spin/drain. Again both of the usual suspects (lid switch and coupler)seem to be working fine. What else do I need to check?

Old 09-04-11, 03:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Will it agitate? I think you have a sock stuck in water pump, Humming noise coming from bottom? Take cabinet off and unclip pump, jump lid switch and see if washer will run. If need help with cabnetcan give directions. Do not try to take off back of washer.

Old 09-04-11, 03:31 PM
M
just to be sure...what do you mean by jump the lid switch after I unclip the water pump? The humming noise does appear top be from the bottom.

Old 09-04-11, 03:40 PM
M
the washer runs, fills with water on the start of a cycle and at the rinse. Not sure it is aggitating.

Old 09-05-11, 04:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You will need to take cabinet off
Whirpool Drive-Coupling Replacement Just use part about cabinet. un clip water pump and hold off shaft. 2 hoses go to it , do not take hoses off unless pump bad. Lid switch has 3 wires jump 2 wires not colored green. put washer in spin and turn on if washer spins you most likely will need pump. Usually a sock stuck in it and I never can get them out.

Old 09-11-11, 09:57 AM
M
Thanks pugsl, will try your suggestion otherwise it is off to find a new used washer. I have had 5 years out of this one but everything has its limits...if it is the pump I am not sure I can manage that DIY repair.

Old 09-12-11, 04:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just Googled Whrilpool water puimp was about 30 dollars. Repair is a 20 minute job. Not hard at all just follow what I said earlier. Remember if water in washer can be up to 25 gallons.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: