Kenmore 70 series model 110.22702100 won't spin

Old 09-17-11, 07:41 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My washing maching doesn't spin. It agitates and drains and I can hear the motor kick in on spin cycle. It does spin if I use a screw driver to activate the lid switch and start spinning it by hand but never fast enough.

I did check the motor clutch but it looked great.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-17-11, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Look inside cabinet about 6 inches from floor you you may see a streak of oil. If there you need a gearcase top seal, clutch and drive coupler. lean washer back against wall to look under it.

Old 09-17-11, 08:42 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
That 70 series is a pretty old model, I know, I have one too. How old is yours? I have found mine to have been a very reliable machine, but have a very small amount of oil that has dripped from somewhere. One or two drops of oil will spread to make a huge spot on a basement floor. Considering mine is 27 years old, I have been thinking of replacing it with a new machine rather than repairing.

Old 09-18-11, 02:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yours at 27 years is most likely a belt drive and I would be looking for a new one.

Old 09-18-11, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
Yours at 27 years is most likely a belt drive and I would be looking for a new one.
Nope, it's direct drive and yes, I am about ready to start looking. I replaced the motor on the matching electric dryer about 6 years ago, no other problems with it. The washer has only had the fill valve changed twice and the typical lid switch problem. Both have been very good machines.

Old 09-19-11, 04:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since it's a direct drive I would keep it. You will not like the new washers. EPA has become involved and washer have change completely. LG or Samsung make good frontloaders.

Old 09-19-11, 07:56 PM
Well, I am keeping them both, for now anyway. I am worried about the age and afraid one day it's going to just stop. I am prepared to buy new machines, but am starting to look a bit and reading reviews. Yes, I know someone who has the Samsung front loaders, they like them a lot. I also know someone who has Whirlpool front loaders and she likes them too. The reviews aren't all that good on front loaders, have they been getting any better?

Old 09-20-11, 03:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I prefer the LG the best, I have the fewest calls for repairs on them. Your direct drive with a few repairs over years should go on for a long time, Only reason I can see to replace is wife wants a new one.
To answer your question front loaders have been getting better, not impressed with Whrilpool

Old 09-21-11, 08:32 PM
Your direct drive with a few repairs over years should go on for a long time, Only reason I can see to replace is wife wants a new one.
You have confirmed my confidence in the direct drive machine, I knew it was a good one. It also helps when you have a spare replacement motor sitting in the basement. The original motor doesn't dare fail. Sometimes it's more cost effective to replace wife and keep the machine!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: