Washing machine pan

Old 09-22-11, 04:29 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washing machine pan

I'm moving my washer and dryer into my bedroom closet. I'm just about done, but I can't seem to find a pan that will fit my washer. My washer is being delivered on Tuesday and is a normal size washer, or at least I thought it was:

Samsung - 3.7 Cu. Ft. 9-Cycle Ultra Capacity High-Efficiency Steam Washer - White - WF331ANW/XAA

The dimensions of the washing machine is 27" x 31 1/8, but the closet pan I could find is 32 x 30:

30 in. x 32 in. Durapan Washer Pan-99 at The Home Depot

I thought this was a common size washing machine. Why are the pans so small? Can someone recommend where I can get a pan? I need to have a drain. Thanks.

Old 09-22-11, 10:30 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
A quick on line check shows the 30 X 32 pan as a large sized pan. Of course you realize that the pan is only to catch overflow or internal leakage problems. It will not protect your property from burst supply hoses or handle the normal discharge from the washer cycles.

Old 09-23-11, 08:40 AM
N
Of course you realize that the pan is only to catch overflow or internal leakage problems. It will not protect your property from burst supply hoses or handle the normal discharge from the washer cycles.
Yes I'm aware, but every plumber friend I've talked to told me I should install the pan in case the hoses underneath break. If the hoses to the guy break then there's not much I can do about that.

Well I called Durapan and asked them if they have any bigger pans and they said the largest they have is 31 x 32 which is still too small. I asked them why the pans are so small and she said that they have not updated the pans in quite some time and they were really intended for older style washers.

Old 09-23-11, 10:19 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
With kids at home, I always liked having a hole in the floor just in case a tub or shower drain got plugged and water went all over, and yes it happened, but with an emergency place for the water to escape my damage was limited to just a wet bathroom floor. If your bedroom is over a basement that may be an easy/partial option. A sump pump in a basement has a better chance of keeping up. A friend had a heating pipe burst while he was away, the results were extreme, almost totaled his home.

Bud

Old 09-23-11, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Old 09-23-11, 02:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Vic may have the solution to size. Now to the real fright. You need to allow this pan to drain safely somewhere, preferably down. Do you have an exposed ceiling below this closet? Is there a way to drill a hole in the pan and the floor to allow you to attach a pipe fitting to it and route pipe either outside or at least to a slop sink or basement sink basin, should the unforeseen happen.

Old 09-23-11, 08:03 PM
N
You need to allow this pan to drain safely somewhere, preferably down. Do you have an exposed ceiling below this closet? Is there a way to drill a hole in the pan and the floor to allow you to attach a pipe fitting to it and route pipe either outside or at least to a slop sink or basement sink basin, should the unforeseen happen.
Thanks for all the replies guys. So here is what I'm doing:

First image is my closet before I started this project. Sorry about the skew, but I had to stitch 2 images together

Second image is the openings cut out to recess the washer and dryer back into the attic:

The third image is the recessed pocket mostly completed for the dryer:

The last image is the pocket for the washer which I have not completed yet. I'm going to drain the pan out to my soffit. I had a plumber over the other night and he told me that code does not allow me to drain the pan into an existing drain. He told me I needed to either run the drain to my sump pump or just drain it out the soffit. The soffit is the easiest method for me:

Old 09-23-11, 08:06 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you have a sheet metal shop in your area, you could possibly have them build a custom pan to your specs. I have seen (Ask This Old House) a water sensor to place on the floor. If a supply hose were to break, it signals the valves and shuts off the water. Bet they are not cheap, but if I had an enclosed situation like yours, I would think seriously about one.

Old 09-23-11, 08:19 PM
N
If you have a sheet metal shop in your area, you could possibly have them build a custom pan to your specs.
I think I'm going to look into the Driptite pan that gun posted. I really can't believe how difficult it's been to find this pan. I have talked to several people that have told me that washers and dryers on the second floor are very common now-a-days especially in new construction.

I have seen (Ask This Old House) a water sensor to place on the floor.
I talked to a guy at work the other day and he told me that he has the sensor that you wrote about. I'm going to talk to him about it Monday.

This has been such a hassle that I'm almost thinking to forget the pan I mean in my entire life I've never seen a washer leak (knock on wood) or even heard of a washer leaking. Down below the washer and dryer is my garage so I'm not concerned about that. I would be concerned if it ran out of my closet into my master bedroom though.

Old 09-24-11, 05:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It only takes once. You have them located on the top floor. If you have a serious leak, think about what is directly below all this, and kiss it goodbye. I think you may be too hung up on getting a premade pan. As Goldstar stated, a local sheet metal shop can make one to your opening specs, place a drain in it, all much cheaper than buying one and paying shipping on it IMO. Your plumber was correct in not allowing it to enter a "drain", and if you have a soffit area for it to go to, just make sure it is ptrapped and that the drain is accessible for you to flush it out.

Old 09-24-11, 04:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Frontloaders seldom ( key word is seldom) If they do leak theree is about 6 gallons of water that has to go someplace.

Old 09-26-11, 02:18 PM
N
I found a pan online. I went to this shop I know and they said they could make me one, but they thought it was overkill. He showed me a pan online that he said he thought would be fine:

Plastic Condensate Drain Pan, 32x32 - Condensate Drain Pans - AC Refrigeration - 3HAJ4 : Grainger Industrial Supply

It's plastic which I'm not crazy about, the drain is only 3/4, and the drain is on the lip and not on the bottom. I still think it will work and I might go with this one.

We did 90% of the plumbing this weekend so we're moving along real nice. PEX is like running wire which is so easy. Saturday morning we went to Home Depot to get the mats and all HD carries are the SharkBite fittings. The fittings were anywhere from $7 - $15 dollars a piece. I was like we're not going to save any money using these fittings. We then went down to Lowe's and got the non-SharkBite fittings for like $1 a piece. Things are going well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: