Maytag dryer chime driving dog crazy

Old 01-09-01, 06:52 PM
Visiting Guest
This is not a joke. We just got our new Maytag Atlantis gas dryer (MDG7600) from Sears. One of the "features" is that at every cycle transition it plays a seemingly unobtrusive chime. Well, this chime is making my dog shake from fear and runs for the hills. We called Maytag and were told that the chime can not be turned off. Our choices are to slowly watch the dog have a nervous breakdown, get rid of the dog, return the dryer to Sears or pray that the dog gets used to the sound.

I don't understand this "feature" anyway. Since our laundry room is next to our family room the constant ringing is very annoying. Our dearly departed Whirlpool dryer had a loud and annoying buzzer. I disconnected it and found out that the buzzer was also an important switch and had to have a service call to bring it back to life.

The Maytag chime is better then the buzzer but it is still annoying.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-09-01, 07:35 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi,

I was surprized at how many models had the cycle signal with no on/off switch!! One I did find with an on/off switch for the chime was a MDG3500.

With out being able to see the dryers wiring diagram, I cannot really suggest pulling/yanking/cutting any of the wires for the chime :-( I looked in many manuals that I have ( closest diagram I had was a MDG7000 - 1999 model )

Best advice....call for a warranty service call, in the first 30 days they will check on any service problem...after the 30 days is up they may give you a wee bit of flak, ( not a "real" warranty call ) but insist on having it checked to see if the buzzer/chime can be disabled. Most Maytag dealers will bend over backwards to try to help you out :-)

jeff.

http://www.applianceaid.com/

p.s. Give the doggie a treat and tell him/her it's from jeff :-)

Old 01-10-01, 10:28 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the only thing I can think of is to disconnect the chime, where is it ? well assuming that it is not something that is incased in another needed part, try the listen and locate it, since I never got one with a chime , I can't say the exact location, likely in somewhere in the top control panel. If it is a separate sounding device , just disconnect the wire,(and then protect the detached wire with electrical tape or an insulator tap) if it is part of a circuit board, don't touch, not that you may not be able to figure it out, be concerned about the warranty , any obvious messing with it , could void the warrenty, but it is up to you. I can't beleive that it can't be disabled, regardless where it is. Like they say where there is a will , there is a way. Check any schmatics or layout charts that you may have.

Old 01-10-01, 02:51 PM
Visiting Guest
DEAR FUZZYMAN,

THE CHIME YOU WOULD LOVE TO TURN OFF IS ACTUALLY IN THE TIMER ITSELF. ACCORDING TO THE WIRING DIAGRAM IF YOUR FULL MODEL NUMBER IS MDG7600AWW. THAT MODEL MUST HAVE BEEN A CLOSE-OUT AT SEARS. ALL MAYTAG GAS DRYERS HAVE A PRODUCTION CODE IN THE MODEL NUMBER. WHERE THE "A" IS IN YOUR MODEL NUMBER THE CURRENT MODELS ALL HAVE "B". NOT TO SAY IT IS A BAD DRYER THOUGH. THE ONLY WAY TO REMOVE CHIME IS TO REMOVE TIMER. I WISH I COULD GIVE YOU BETTER NEWS!

Old 01-10-01, 09:56 PM
D
Of all the places to put it, what a bummer.

Old 01-11-01, 05:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Funny reply from Maytag

I thought that this reply was funny. Go ahead and screw up your machine and your warranty but we're not responsible. Based on mlinebeger1's reply, which is probably right, then Maytag service doesn't even know there own equipment.
Does anybody have a wiring diagram that shows where the "control panel" is?
It is a MDG7600AWW.

BTW-- Now, Buster runs upstairs everytime he
hears the dryer go on he just to get away from the chime (he's not allowed up there but I don't have the heart to stop him). I've tried giving him dog treats every time the chime goes off, like Pavlovs dog, he eats the treat and then cowers in the corner.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Customer Service at Maytag.com [mailto:customerservice@maytag.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2001 10:17 AM
> To: Mark Reitman
> Subject: Re: Online Service Support
>
>
> Dear Mark,
>
> Thank you for visiting the Maytag Home Page. We welcome > the opportunity to assist you.
>
> You can disconnect the chime from the control panel, but >if this causes a functional problem with the unit the >warranty will not cover the repair. If you or whomever >disconnects the wires make sure they are properly taped to >prevent them from touching the control panel or other >wires. Since this is altering the product we cannot tell >you how to do this, but you can purchase a service manual that will tell you how.
>
> If you have further questions or comments, please e-mail >or contact our Customer Service Department at the toll->free number listed below.
>
>
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jennifer
> Maytag Customer Service

Old 01-11-01, 05:29 AM
D
sometimes they tape a wiring diagram to the back of the unit, or inside the unit. If you lift the top , and take off the front panel , there could be a electrical diagram taped inside. Not saying for sure, but there could be.

http://appliancehelp.hypermart.net/may-apart.htm

http://www.appliparts.com//dryer.html

These sites should be able to tell you how to remove the front panel.

Some manufacturing put their diagrams inside where only a repair person is likely to see it.

Old 01-11-01, 06:34 AM
Visiting Guest
i can email you a diagram but i am sure the chime is in the timer. it is described in my parts program as "timer with chime" the part number is #33001932. i am a maytag dealer and yes some of the new consultants at our online and phone help do not know what they are talking about. i hate it but it happens. Purchase your maytags at a Maytag Home Appliance. They are more qualified and can normally answer all questions. warning! some are reluctant though if you purchased elsewhere! hope this helps!

Old 01-11-01, 06:52 AM
D
I wonder if it is indeed in fact in the timer as someone mentioned, that the sounding device within it, doesn't have pinholes that allow the sound our to be heard, I am not sure if I am explaining myself properly but I think you can get my drift. What if, not sure if it would work, you were to use a small amount of duct tape to cover these holes on the timer, and thereby not really stopping the sound, but either preventing it from being heard, or greatly reducing the level, perhaps making the difference for the dog.

perhaps - mlinebeger1 - can make a comment on this and state if by covering the holes, it would only affect the sounding device, and not create a internal heating problem within the timer.

Old 01-11-01, 02:02 PM
Visiting Guest
fuzzy,

i had one of my guys open up a mde7600 (electric). the gas model should be exact. you can remove the actual bell from the timer itself. you will need a 1/4 nutdriver and a phillips head screwdriver. UNPLUG THE DRYER!!!!! LET ME SAY THAT AGAIN... UNPLUG THE DRYER!!! remove the 3 screws at top of control panel. remove the 1/4 screws at the bottom of the metal plate. remove the the timer knob and dial. remove the two 1/4 screws that hold the timer to the control panel. you do not have to remove any wires. take the timer out and hold it so you can remove the phillips head screw at the top of the bell. you will see how this works. good luck!

P.S. YOU DO REALIZE THAT THIS INFORMATION IS FOR QUALIFIED TECHNICIANS ONLY. ANY ATTEMPT TO PERFORM THIS SERVICE IS AT THE RISK AND LIABILITY OF THE HOMEOWNER.

Old 01-11-01, 04:23 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by mlinebeger1
fuzzy,

i had one of my guys open up a mde7600 (electric). the gas model should be exact. you can remove the actual bell from the timer itself. you will need a 1/4 nutdriver and a phillips head screwdriver. UNPLUG THE DRYER!!!!! LET ME SAY THAT AGAIN... UNPLUG THE DRYER!!! remove the 3 screws at top of control panel. remove the 1/4 screws at the bottom of the metal plate. remove the the timer knob and dial. remove the two 1/4 screws that hold the timer to the control panel. you do not have to remove any wires. take the timer out and hold it so you can remove the phillips head screw at the top of the bell. you will see how this works. good luck!

Hi all....

I did the same today...looks like good instructions to me!! :-)

The noise maker is attached to the timer...and looks like it can be disabled :-)

The wiring diagram is usually taped inside the consol ;-)

jeff.

http://www.applianceaid.com/

Old 01-14-01, 12:26 PM
Visiting Guest
For whom the chime tolls

Good news. I opened the back of the control panel (I did unplug it first) and found a bell as advised. Instead of removing it or permanently altering the chime/timer I put electric tape on the outside and inside of the bell. That did the trick. Buster is a happy dog again.

I was more then suprised to find a physical bell instead of an electronic one. If it had been electronic then my task might have been harder. Let's hear it for analog technology.

THANKS TO EVERYBODY FOR ADVICE

Old 01-14-01, 12:47 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Re: For whom the chime tolls

Originally posted by fuzzyman
Let's hear it for analog technology.

THANKS TO EVERYBODY FOR ADVICE
Thankx for letting us know how you made out!! :-)

jeff.

Your on-line appliance repair shop

Old 07-09-07, 06:56 AM
M
Smile

Thank you for this suggestion, I thought my dog was the only crazy one! I took the bell out and he's much happier.

Thanks for the post!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: