Chemical smell from fridge

Old 01-10-01, 08:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm a tenant and when I came home and started unpacking groceries today I noticed an odd chemical smell coming from our fridge & freezer. It seemed to be coming from the vents at the back of the freezer that the cold air comes out.
It was bad enough that I ended up dizzy & feeling kindof ill. I've moved all my stuff out of the freezer & have double wrapped everything in the fridge.

I don't want to bug my landlord unless there's something wrong. Any ideas what this could be? Is it dangerous? Can I fix it?

Thanks,
Jocelyne

Old 01-11-01, 03:10 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hello,

Is the fridge/freezer still working??

If the temps are warming up...the odor may be a result of the fridge not working properly.

If the fridge/freezer temsp are still ok....
this link here may help you out :-)

jeff.

http://www.applianceaid.com/

Old 01-11-01, 05:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Nope - it's definitely not a food odor. It smells like Windex or antifreeze. The fridge is still working fine - it started when I turned up the freezer a little bit (from 1 to 1.5) but hasn't gone away.

It's a Kenmore, but I have no idea what model, and quite frankly the smell is now so bad that I'm not going close enough to look!

Jocelyne

Old 01-11-01, 08:38 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi,

Double check all containers in the fresh food section...the fan will draw any odor from there and blow it out the vent in the freezer.

Some other possable odor trouble makers:
- something fallen onto the defrost heater.
- condensate pan ( under or at back ) can get "chunky" from the defrost water in there.

I have seen !!many!! fruits/vaggies go bad in the FF section and often give off a medicine like odour...cabagge/oranges are just a couple of trouble makers.

jeff.

http://www.applianceaid.com/

Old 01-14-01, 10:25 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your suggestions - the fridge is now totally empty. I didn't feel comfortable keeping food in it after I got sick yesterday from something that had been in there. The landlord is coming to disassemble the whole darn thing this week & I guess we'll just eat out until then!

Jocelyne

ps - if we figure out what it is, I'll let you know

Old 01-14-01, 12:16 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by jocelyne

Hi,

Thankx!! :-)

Your on-line appliance repair shop

Old 10-04-05, 06:24 PM
TiaAngel
Visiting Guest
I know this has been a while BUT did you ever find out what this was? I am having this problem. Apartment people came out. Said they thought it was food. I knew it wasnt. We got rid of everything....still smells. Going to call them back out

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your suggestions - the fridge is now totally empty. I didn't feel comfortable keeping food in it after I got sick yesterday from something that had been in there. The landlord is coming to disassemble the whole darn thing this week & I guess we'll just eat out until then!

Jocelyne

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: