Kenmore Elite Ice Maker won't work.

Old 12-15-11, 03:53 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Elite Ice Maker won't work.

Hey all:

I read a few other posts on this topic, but most had stated that there was water in the ice maker and it would not cycle or that the light next to the on/off switch was flashing.....

Last week my wife noticed our ice maker was producing too much ice and was about to overflow. She emptied the ice bucket and put it back in. We have yet to get another piece of ice since. I double checked that the ice bucket was put back in properly. The on/off switch is in the "on" position and no light is blinking there. The water dispenser works fine, and there are no kinks in the supply line on the back of the refrigerator. It seems as though we are not getting any water to the ice maker, but I am not positive. Any ideas on what to check first?

Thanks for any help offered.

MJ

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-11, 09:18 AM
M
Just an update.....

This weekend, I pulled out the ice maker and cleaned it up. I also replaced the filter in the front of the refrigerator.

The main water line goes in at the bottom of the refrigerator and then runs to the front to the filter. From the filter it comes back to a box (which I am assuming is a pump). From there one line goes to the water supply and a small line goes up to the top of the refrigerator and to the ice maker. About half way up, there is a coupling in the icemaker line. I disconnected this and turned the main water back on. Water came out the water dispenser, but no water came out the line........ I assume this is O.K., since the water would not run all the time anyway. The pump at the bottom would have to have some wiring that ells it to supply water to the ice maker. I hooked everything back up after cleaning it and re-installed the icemaker unit. It has now been about 36 hours and we still have no ice. I don't know whether I need a new ice maker unit, or if it could be something else.

Thanks again,

MJ

Old 12-19-11, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
No expert on ice makers...but here's some thoughts...

First...that box isn't a pump. Whats inside it is probably 2 solenoid controlled valves. One is for the water dispenser the other is for the ice maker. If you put your fingers on it and draw some water, you'll probably feel a click or hear a humming while the water is flowing.

The few I have messed with have 2 solenoids that can sometimes be swapped to see if thats the problem.

Second....you might try filling the ice maker tray manually to see if it makes ice. That may or may not work. I believe they have some sort of float or sensor that tells the unit when the tray is full of water and then the freeze cycle starts. After it pushes the ice out, the solenoid valve is energized til the tray is full then the cycle starts again. If it makes ice with a manual fill...then possibly that "sensor" is bad or the solenoid valve is nor being energized or is faulty.

If you post the actual model number (label inside the door somewhere) I might be able to look some things up.

Old 12-19-11, 10:42 AM
M
Vic:

Thanks for getting back to me. The solenoid makes sense, didn't even think about that.....

The model Number is: 106.51562101

Hopefully that will drum up some additional info.

MJ

Old 12-19-11, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well.....just looking at the parts lists and diagram...I can tell I'm out of my league. The thing uses some sort of ckt board and infrared sensors of some sort to even detect the ice level! The parts list at Sears even calls it a micro-computer! And lists it at $90 for 2 little ckt boards with about 10 components total. Appears the are installed on opposite sides of the ice bin. I'm guessing your bin is either clear or has some strategically placed holes to allow the beam to pass through. When the ice blocks the beam, it's supposed to stop making ice.

Couldn't find anything specific that controls water level.

Doesn't look like it uses 2 interchangeable solenoid valves, but instead an all-in-one assembly for $65.

I'll have to step back and recommend you wait for one of the Pro's to check in.

In the meantime, I'd suggest you double check to make sure everything was put back in correctly and there are no loose connections that you can find. I do see there is a switch of some sort mounted on the inside of the freezer....can't tell for certain but it looks about where the ice bin would slide in. Might affect operation somehow.

Old 12-19-11, 11:20 AM
M
LOL..... I found myself way out of my league too. You knew more than I did! Thanks! I'll have to take a peek to see if I can eyeball any sensors when I get home.

MJ