Bosch SHE7ER55UC- how loud is 42 db?

Old 12-22-11, 01:20 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bosch SHE7ER55UC- how loud is 42 db?

We have a newly installed Bosch SHE7ER55UC. It is rated at 42 db. When running, it goes from very quiet to not particularly quiet.

The main sounds are water sloshing against door during wash cycle. Sounds like rhythmic slapping every 1-2 secs. And some pump noise when dishwasher seems to go into a turbo type cycle. Not real loud, but I read these posts where people say they have to put their ear against their machine to find out whether it is running or not.

Our kitchen table is 10-12 feet away and we can carry on a normal conversation, but you can definitely hear dishwasher too.
Is this normal? from how far away are these db readings taken?
Thanks
Dave

Old 12-22-11, 04:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Not sure how your model number compares to the one I installed for a client a year or so ago, but I went over a few days after we finished our job to collect a check and noticed a red light shining on the floor. I asked her what that was, and she said it was to let you know the dishwasher was running. Duh. It was really quiet.
42 dB isn't very loud. I have a dB meter in my sound booth at church and normal talking via amplification in the room measured on a pink noise apparatus runs about 75 dB. Full orchestra, choir and congregation singing will run it up to 90 dB or more. So 42 would be bearable, but I don't know how far away their meter is located for the test. Consumer Reports may be a good outlet for that exact information based on model number.

Old 12-22-11, 05:20 PM
D
With our TV on in the family room (open to kitchen), you cannot hear the dishwasher. But if there is a quiet point in the show, you can.
I have a sound meter. Standing in front of the dishwasher, it reads 55 db. If I put it right next to it, 66 db.

It just doesn't seem right to me. You can hear the pump make a revolving noise as it's turning. Nothing obnoxious, but loud enough that it just doesn't seem right.

Old 12-22-11, 05:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
advertized at 42 and you are getting a 55 I would contact store and tell them your dishwasher is not living up to expectations. See if they will correct problem.

Old 12-22-11, 06:15 PM
D
They have said they will allow a service call. I just want to be sure I'm not off base.

Old 12-23-11, 05:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Absolutely not. Pugsl is correct, call for the service person. You paid too much for a quiet machine that isn't quiet, right??

Old 12-23-11, 06:46 AM
D
Thanks. I have a coworker who has the same machine and raves about how quiet it is. I will also pay him a visit to listen to it

Old 12-23-11, 08:35 AM
D
Having repairman come Mon Jan 16 to check out machine. They service a lot of Bosch machines. I asked to have a repairman that is very familiar with Bosch.

Old 12-23-11, 09:04 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
I think you're on the right track.

While dishwasher noise doesn't bother me and therefore I would not pay for the 'quiet' feature, you did and appear not to be getting that for which you paid.

Please let us know what the repairman has to say.

Old 12-23-11, 09:30 AM
D
I will. I first will put mine on and film with my sound meter. I will then go to my coworker's house and do same thing. At same time in same cycle. Then we will see if there is substantial difference in sound btwn mine and his

Old 02-03-12, 05:19 PM
D
any updates on your tests and service call?

i have read this thread with great interest and am very curious what the outcome was.

just yesterday, we had the same exact DW installed. i too find that in reality, our DW is not 42db in volume. standing near the DW, it's in the low 50db range..much better than our old GE and so i was chalking it up to "different testing parameters." i'm sure if i stand 10 feet away, it will likely be 42db. (my RS sound level meter bottoms out at 50db)

for what it's worth our old GE was rated at 58db and yet, standing near the DW, it measured 72 or so db.

so, i wonder if this is an industry wide issue of overly optimistic numbers or...

we're happy with ours, regardless as the now louder appliance in our kitchen is the fridge (well, it's comparable, but its a more annoying sound compared to the DW)

anyway, i'd appreciate hearing what the end result was for you and if the tech had any suggestions or confirmations. the only thing i could think of to help ours is to stuff something between the small cracks to the left and right of the DW since the rubber gaskets don't fit tightly within our DW opening in the cabinet its slid into.

Old 02-03-12, 05:35 PM
D
Tech is coming 2/23. I have no complaints about cleaning. But with nothing in dishwasher, it pegs around 56. When I put lots of stuff in it, it sometimes sounds like a cement mixer with things banging around. I wonder if the express (30 min) cycle uses more water force than the normal.
Check it out and see what you think. Maybe that's why things bang around inside

Old 02-03-12, 05:59 PM
D
i'm sorry to hear you didn't have the tech come by yet. what kind of sound levels did you measure with your co-workers?

i've only run one small load (2/3 full) last night, and it is with that load i thought i was in the low 50s standig in front of the dishwasher. i actually have the toe kick off right now so it might get quieter for us once i put it back on (long story).

your experience is interesting though: i was always under the impression that it might actually be quieter once it was fully loaded, but maybe not?

how well does your dishwasher sit flush to the cabinet (top/bottom/sides)?

ours: there is a slight gap to one side (the rubber "fins" on the front do not go flush on both sides of the cabinet)...i wonder if one can dampen sound that may be leaking out the sides/bottom/top if one wanted to be super diligent.

it is my suspicion that yours and my units are performing normally...i am guessing 42 db is measured at some distance away from the dishwasher and not right up in front of it. too bad there is no standard measuring practice.

btw, my measurements we C-weighted, slow response. i need to go back and measure it with A-weighting...i suspect that might drop the level a bit more and likely, they manufacturers like bosch use A-weighting.

Old 02-04-12, 10:18 PM
D
a versus c weighting

in short, i think i have a partial explanation for the levels i measured. tonight, i switched my sound level meter to A weighting and rather than the peak of 58db 1 ft in front of the dishwasher while standing, i get something that falls completely off the scale (ie, less than 50db). if i measure just near the toekick (within a few inches), i measure 53-54db A weighted.

so i'm guessing that the 42 db spec's is definitely A weighting, probably performed a few feet from the dishwasher and maybe is an empty load.

definitely, most of the volume is coming from the lower portion of the dishwasher and i speculate that perhaps with a more insulating toekick (perhaps something people do), one could experience lower volumes.

also, i'm certain that floor material matters. we have ceramic tile which i'm sure allows noise to be more prominent than what would experience with wood floors.

Dave, i'm very curious to hear what weighting you are setting the sound level meter to, what you measured on your co-workers 7ER, and ultimately what the technician tells you.

Old 02-15-12, 09:40 AM
D
more follow-ups, but haven't been using the sound level meter lately.

dave, i think i know what you mean by "cement mixer" sound, but perhaps we are expecting too much? the DW is still quieter than our fridge and i don't think the volume (A weighted) is about 50db, regardless. 42db is probably optimistic and based on some ideal situation (i'm guessing that if it's installed on wood vs tile (like ours), one might save a few db of volume).

the loudest thing we get is water slapping on a metal bowl, and i'm guess that's because of the pitch of the sound. the plates and glass items subjectively are less noisy.

i'm still curious to hear what you measure at your co-workers house vs. yours. again, please be sure to check whether you are measuring C or A weighting. (i choose slow response, too)

but the end, i'm ok with it. it's quieter than our GE, and moreover it cleans very well.

Old 02-26-12, 05:56 PM
D
The technician came out and checked it and said none of the noises were abnormal like pump failing etc. He pulled it out and looked at insulation. One thing I think is that the Express setting uses higher water pressure. Run yours on Express and I think you'll notice a lot more noise.
I have it running now in normal mode, and the most I hear is water hitting the door, and the soap tablet bouncing around in tray.
I just used sound meter with A weighting and slow response. Get no reading a foot from door, even 6 " from door.
At toe kick, I get 55-58 DB.
I think the key is not using the express mode. Let me know if you agree.

Old 02-27-12, 06:35 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
I just bought a similar model SHE4AP02UC (white finish) and it was rated at 52db. I did notice that the paper inside shows the different DB ratings for the different models. I wonder if maybe yours is the same as mine, with universal paper for all their washers.

I'll be replacing the front panel with the custom kit which should drop the noise down some more.

Old 02-27-12, 10:21 AM
D
dave, thanks for the follow up. i'm both glad to hear yours is functioning propely, and also sad for you that you didn't get something that would improve your situation. nevertheless, i'm glad you are finding the "normal cycle" more to your liking.

i've only used express wash once, but if and when we use it again, i'll try to note sound level both subjectively and with the sound level meter. my wife and i, nevertheless, the continue to be pleased in the improvement in sound level over our old GE. we don't have to adjust the TV volume anymore, and as i noted previously, our fridge is the louder appliance in our kitchen. so if it's running, the DW is inaudible. but even when audible, i think the sub 50db sound of the 7ER is very good. the only thing that is reallly noticeable to us is the draining of the water into the sink/disposer bypass junction.

i do think that if one were to install some sort of custom panel to deaden sound near the toe kick, the sound level would drop even more. i originally contemplated that, but after having the DW for a few weeks, i think i'll leave well alone.

Old 02-28-12, 11:04 AM
D
dave: ok, based on your request, i decided to do an express load last night. you're right: it's perceptibly louder, but not that much to my ears. measured just in front of the DW, i see a "murmur" on my 60db scale which suggests a low 51-52db reading perhaps as opposed to something in the 40s.

i also noted that it cleaned things just fine and while things appeared damp at first, after letting the steam escape and have things sit for 10-15 minutes, all items ended up dry (the glass items seemed wet at first, but porcelain/ceramic were dry immediately)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: