Frig not cold anymore. What can i do?

Old 12-23-11, 10:33 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frig not cold anymore. What can i do?

My Amana frig just stop working yesterday. The compressor does not seem to be coming on. I'm cleaning the coils because they are really covered alot, but that won't cause the compressor to not start up would it. It's only about 7 yrs old. Is there anything i can check?

skeeter

Old 12-23-11, 02:43 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
I hope you have gotten a repairman there already or have a backup fridge. There are some things I can think of that would cause it but none are fixable without parts which will be difficult to find on a holiday weekend.

No, I don't think cleaning the coils will make it work. The dirt would have reduced it's efficiency and possibly put more a strain on the compressor but that's history at this point.

You did not say what fridge you have to I can't give specifics but here are some things that can be done without repair parts...

1. Does the light come on inside the fridge. Just making sure you have power in case the circuit breaker tripped.

2. Slide the fridge out so you can get to the back. Unplug it for 5 minutes. Have someone down at the floor at the back of the fridge listening when you plug it in. Is the compressor coming on and running?

3. If the compressor is running but the freezer and fridge are getting warm. Unplug the fridge. Take everything out of the freezer. Remove the shelves and remove the back panel of the freezer compartment. This should give you access to the coils. Are they frozen solid in a chunk of ice?

Old 12-26-11, 10:25 AM
S
Well i called in the local service guy. ******. So far i am not impressed and very pissed. He installed a 3 in 1starter relay, for $205 total no less, and said it would take 24 to 48 hrs to cool back down. Well here it is almost 3 days later and all i have is more spoiled food and spent about $40 on ice. Xmas was sad to say the least with this added problem. I've called the shop this morning and am waiting for a call back from "***" whenever he decides to show up for work. So far i've been waiting 1 1/2 hours. btw, is an Amana ars2664bw side-by-side.

skeeter

Last edited by Shadeladie; 12-26-11 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Company name removed
Old 12-26-11, 10:29 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
FWIW it's worth, we clean the coils when a tenant calls to say their fridge isn't cooling. If that doesn't fix it, we call the store and order them a new one. We do buy cheap ones, though - makes more sense to attempt to fix an expensive one.

Old 12-26-11, 10:39 AM
S
Being a $1200.00 frig when new i'm hoping it's worth fixing, but in this economic times i don't really have any extra $ for this. Especially at xmas time. But i would have liked to know if it's going to cost $600.00 to fix because i would have just went out and bought a new cheap one. How long should this frig have lasted me, 10years. 20 Years. It's the first time i have ever had to have one repaired. Usually i upgraded them with new ones before they even go bad.

skeeter

Old 12-26-11, 11:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
One article I quickly found online says the average life span of a refrigerator is 8-14 years and the cost to repair a compressor that won't cool is about $500. At 7 years old with a more expensive fridge you are at a difficult point. A few years younger you'd fix it. A few years older and you would not bother trying to repair it and would just go buy a new one.

Old 01-02-12, 09:44 PM
S
"From: Pilot Dane

3. If the compressor is running but the freezer and fridge are getting warm. Unplug the fridge. Take everything out of the freezer. Remove the shelves and remove the back panel of the freezer compartment. This should give you access to the coils. Are they frozen solid in a chunk of ice? "

Well he finally came back out and looked at the frig. First thing he went to was the evaperator in the back of the freezer like you said to check Pilot Dane. He told me to unplug the frig and take everything out and defrost it. With a blow dryer if i wanted to make it quick. It took us about two hours to melt it all and clean it up. Plugged it back in and waited. The next day it was getting cold again. But wait the cheers didn't last long. After a day it started to freeze up again and warm up the frig first and then the freezer. The frig wont get below 60 and the freezer is barely below zero. The evaperator is frozen up again. After calling repeated i finally got a hold of the repairman days later. I really hate this guy.

He told me the defrost timer must not be working and he would have to order the part and it would be in on friday(today). Can't get him at all now. Checked reviews online of his company with not good results. So i'm on my own again. Should i order a defrost timer, is that what it is really called?

skeeter, need help now please.

Old 01-02-12, 10:19 PM
S
Also just ran across something about the defrost heater. Is there a way to check that before ordering the timer?

skeeter

Old 01-03-12, 06:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Well it sounds like you have narrowed it down to the defrost. The timer, $40 online, the service guy mentioned is one possible problem. There is also the heater and a thermostat, each a $35 part online. Both can be checked if you have a volt/ohm meter.

Old 01-03-12, 01:30 PM
S
Well... armed with the knowledge of the internet, which is more than i can say for the repairman, i will be checking the heater and thermostat tonight when i get home. If all goes well i'll be order a part tonight too! Will keep you informed.

skeeter

Old 01-04-12, 08:12 AM
S
Got home last night and tore into the freezer. Removed the back panel and used a blow dryer to melt the big chunk of ice covering the evaperator. Found the defrost heater element(easy) and tested it. It had about 5 ohms resistance. The DIY webpage said the check to see if it had 0 ohms or an open circuit and if it had either it was bad. So that checked good. On to the thermostat. I checked it warm and it had an open circuit. I put it it a cup filled with ice and water and let it set for about ten minutes. According to the testing procedure it should close the circuit and have 0 ohms. It didn't it was still an open circuit. So the thermostat is bad. I ordered another thermostat with overnight shipping for $63. So i have my fingers crossed that it is only that and nothing else. After melting the big chunk of ice it was really a pretty easy test. Why didn't the repairman do that instead of just guessing what it might be? Will let you know how it turns out.

skeeter

Old 01-07-12, 07:32 PM
S
Ok, so somethings wrong. I got the new part and did the same test i did on the old part. If failed. The website said test it when warm it should open circuit. Test it when cold and it should be a closed circuit. I did that and it never closed. I put it in the freezer in ice water and let it freeze over some. Shouldn't that be cold enough? What am i doing wrong?

skeeter

Old 01-08-12, 05:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
To make sure I would put the thermostat in a small bowl with some crushed ice and salt, or give it more time until your bowl of water is frozen solid to insure the thermostat is indeed at a cold enough temperature. I'm wondering if the liquid water at the bottom of the bowl was 40f while the surface was skimming over. Just warm enough to keep it from switching.

Old 01-08-12, 10:36 AM
S
It was in a cup filled with ice with water in it. It was then placed in the freezer until it froze over the top. I thought it was cold enough. Guess i'll just put the thing in the freezer and see how it does. Anything else i could try if that doesn't work?

skeeter

Old 01-08-12, 03:29 PM
P
Group Moderator
I think the bottom end for most switches is about 40f so ice water should do it. Freezing to something in the teens would certainly do it, but do you want a switch that needs to be so cold? It is annoying though if you got a switch that was bad in the box.

Old 01-12-12, 03:39 PM
S
Well, i put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes and it switched on. So the switch does work but it has to be really cold. At the time the freezer was at 8 degrees, so it was plenty cold enough. I would not know how to tell exactly what temp it actually closes at. I finished defrosting the evaperator core again and replaced the switch. I should be able to test the old switch the same way in the freezer. I'll keep you posted.

skeeter

Old 01-14-12, 11:02 AM
S
Yaahoooooo...............

I just checked the old switch. It had been sitting in the top of the freezer for two days now so i know it is cold enough. The freezer in the top is 5 degrees below zero. It tested bad. There was no continuity between the connections. So i seemed to have fixed it. Also the evaperator cores do not seem to be building up much frost at all. I will have the wait about a week just to make sure that was the only problem but i pretty confident it is working fine now. If i have any more problems i'll report back on it. Thanks so much for your help. I hope someone else can learn from this thread on how the check the systems out rather than just change parts by guessing.

Maybe i should refer my repairman to this site so he can learn something.

skeeter

Old 01-14-12, 01:53 PM
P
Group Moderator
I've given up on repairmen and I almost hate it when my appliances are under warranty. I recall when our dishwasher died after 3 months. I called the company and told them exactly what part was needed down to the part number and it was a week before they could have someone out. Of course he showed up without the part, but would order it when he got back to the office that night. A week later the part arrived and then they called to set up a time to install it which was another week. All totaled it took 3 1/2 weeks. After that I just fix everything myself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: