Dishwasher Draining

Old 01-19-12, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher Draining

Hello,

My dishwasher does not attach to my dispoasl (sp) due to it being on a different wall from the sink. The drain line for the dishwasher goes into the basement and ties into the sink drain line down there.

I've had some problems with the dishwasher and the repair guy said that the water may be draining out due to the line being below the unit which is causing the motor to run with little to no water. Dishes aren't getting very clean either.

This guy mentioned getting an anti-siphon device to attach to the drain line where it ties into the sink drain line in the basement. I went to a plumbing supply store and they didn't seem to agree.

Has anyone had any experience with this or have any ideas on how to fix? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-12, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Your drain line needs to have a loop that goes above the water line of DW. and have a air gap above drain water line. Can not go directly into a trap.

Old 01-20-12, 07:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. If I reroute the drain line and attach it to the wall or side of a cabinet above the water level that will help with the drainage problem. Will that create an air gap though? I think it would.

Old 01-20-12, 02:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
That's how it is done, a loop in cabinet above water line usually to top of DW. The loop will be the air gap, make sure that you also have a gap above water in drain or DW will siphon out.