Kenmore Series 80 Washer leaks off and on. Help!

Old 01-22-12, 02:26 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Series 80 Washer leaks off and on. Help!

Need help. I have a Kenmore Series 80 washer that is around 7 years old. It has been leaking off and on about halfway through the wash cycle. I took the cabinet off and all of the hoses and pump are completely dry. The water has accumulated on the rear floor frame bracket and no where else besides the floor itself. I checked all of the connections and reassembled the unit and then ran 3 loads with no leaks. Now, 2 weeks later, it's leaking again. It doesn't do it every time and we are not running a full load either. I am confident that I can make the repair myself, but I have no idea what needs to be replaced. Please help. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-22-12, 04:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Sounds more like a drain backup. when you had cabinet off did you find water on or in frame. I think you said it was on frame. Can't think of anything that would leak back there. The only leak I have ever found in back without hoses leaking is a hole worn in tub near top right in back. When this happened there was a lot of water.

Old 01-22-12, 05:18 PM
M
Other than the floor itself, the only thing wet was frame on the backside and it was wet from end to end. The weird thing is that nothing above that was wet at all. Completely dry. My thought was that something is leaking in the middle up high and when it hits the floor directly, the splash is getting the back frame wet.

I thought that the drum gets out of line with a full load and splashes over the top. Is that possible? Also, on the top of the drum, I can unclip the top and there is a gasket in there. Does that ever fail?

Old 01-23-12, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Never have replaced that gasket, slight chance of tub leaning forward and fill water splashing out when it fills. Ran into a few of those about 5 years ago. Water would hit plastic tub cover and splash.

Old 01-23-12, 08:07 AM
M
It's done this occasionally over the past 5 years, but I figured my wife was just overfilling the tub. Now it's doing it more often and we both make a concious effort to level the tub after it's loaded. I checked the spring that keeps it level and it seems to be in good shape. Any other suggestions?

Old 01-23-12, 02:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I usually find the drain problems with intermittent leaks, I find it happens after several showers or a lot of water use. Washer use 20 to 25 gallons of water per fill and any blockage will show up at washer. I could be wrong but it's what I usually find.

Old 01-23-12, 03:27 PM
M
In regards to a drain issue, is there anything to check in the washer itself? My home is only 7 years old and I have a seperate laundry room on the main level. The hose off the dryer rests right inside the drain hole in the wall. If it were not draining right or clogged, it would leak down my wall. This leak is coming from inside the washer itself.

Old 01-24-12, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't think of anything, you could Take cabinet off and run it that way. Will have to jump lid switch to run and watch that the back is up so water goes into tub. To jump lid switch jump 2 wires not colored green.

Old 02-08-12, 08:41 PM
M
Can anyone help me? I put a tray under it to keep it from ruining the floor. It only leaks every 3-4 washes and it's only in the amount of a cup or two of water.

Old 02-09-12, 04:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Only way I know to find a leak like that is to run with cabinet off, Will have to jump lid switch to do it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: