Another Kenmore 80 Series "not spinning" problem

Old 02-11-12, 10:56 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another Kenmore 80 Series "not spinning" problem

My problem seems a little different than the other threads I read, my washer will run through it's cycle and the won't spin when it gets to that part of cycle. If I catch it in time I can just pull the main button off and then turn it back on and it will spin and finish. If cycle time passes this point then I have to rotate the cycle button back to the spin part and push on and it will spin and finish cycle. Any ideas

Old 02-12-12, 05:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
did not give model # usually most spin problems are lid switch either broken(one with slot in top) or loose hinge (no slot) left side hinge screws loosen. If you hear noise like spinning but no spi or to wet clothes than usually oil leak

Old 02-12-12, 10:02 PM
V
The model number is 110.23832100
There is no sound of spinning, it just doesn't spin, like it's off, but it is actually still running timer. That is why if I don't catch it in time I have to rotate cycle switch back to rinse. the motor does run the the pump though, does this mean the transmission is low on oil? I don't understand why if I rotate it around it will work.

Old 02-12-12, 10:06 PM
V
One other bit of info, pugsl, if I catch it while the pump is pulling water out and click it off and then on it will work, spin and pump.

Old 02-13-12, 06:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
try this
Look inside cabinet about 6 inches from floor you you may see a streak of oil. If there you need a gearcase top seal, clutch and drive coupler. lean washer back against wall to look under it.

Old 02-25-12, 02:32 PM
K
Help

Check out this video I took of my issue. Agitates, Drains, Switch OK, Coupler/Gasket looks like it's in good shape after I took it apart....

Kenmore Washing Machine Grinding Noise - YouTube

Old 02-25-12, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
Not a fix, but a work around:

We had a very similar issue on a Kenmore washer we had. Wife would just leave the lid open. Cycle would stop when it came time to spin and drain the water. Went down and shut the lid and it would run correctly after that. Never did find the problem and sold it with the house.

Old 03-01-12, 07:09 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Angry

I have a similar problem, but not quite the same.

Kenmore Special Edition Top Loading Washing Machine, Model # 110 24692300.

The washer will fill, agitate and drain fine. But when it comes time to start spinning, it just sits there. I can hear the "click" in the switch, so the switch is working, and timer will keep going while the machine is sitting idle. However, if I reach inside and give the side of the drum a good push, it will start spinning, and then takes a long time to get up to proper speed. Seems like something's slipping or loose, so not enough grab or "oomff" (yes, that's a real technical term!) to get the spinning action started.

When I run the machine on the spin cycle when it's empty, it spins on its own -- no problem. Seems to only be a problem when it has to get going (spinning) with a load of wet laundry.

Could this be a loose belt? Or maybe it's direct drive, no belt, in which case I don't know the proper term for what's controlling the spinning. I don't think it's the coupler, since the agitator works. Please help!

Last edited by muldrew; 03-01-12 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-02-12, 04:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look inside cabinet about 6 inches from floor you you may see a streak of oil. If there you need a gearcase top seal, clutch and drive coupler. lean washer back against wall to look under it.

Old 03-04-12, 12:24 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
No oil on inside of cabinet. Some black dust on floor. Took apart everything. Coupler was cracked, so definitely needs to be replaced. Clutch looks fine, but will replace that too. Hopefully that will take care of it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: