Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Large Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

Kenmore 80 series top-loading washer - continuous dirty debris in wash basin

Old 02-14-12, 06:54 PM

Hi all,

First post here. I acquired this washing machine second hand thru an acquaintance. I've only had headaches since hooking it up. The first wash that I did was with white towels - after the cycle finished, I noticed that there was small debris on the towels. I thought it was because of how dirty the towels were. I thought nothing of it.

Since then, I've used it two or three times. The third time, I noticed the debris again, on some of my clothes. After looking online, I decided to run the machine without any clothes. I checked to make sure that the water coming into the basin was clean, cold and hot. After running a cycle, I noticed the debris again in the bottom of the basin. I researched online again and found an article on how to clean mildew from a washing machine by filling it up with hot water all the way up to the top of the basin, above the plastic rim (you need to fill it by hand the last few inches) and then adding a cup of bleach and letting it run for 10 minutes, rest, and run again, etc. I did this two times and was still getting the debris. I then did it one more time and used Lysol instead of bleach. What I saw after running this cycle was disgusting. The Lysol released even more debris than the bleach. The pictures below were taken before the Lysol run.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/732...098817orig.jpg

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1...57207origu.jpg

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/572...067792orig.jpg

The debris is mushy and somewhat flaky and falls apart when pressed.

What is going on? Should I keep on doing what I am doing until the water runs clean? I am aware that surrounding the metal basin is a plastic basin - does this need to be replaced?

Also, a very important piece of information, which I'm sure is related. When I went to pick up the washer, I was told that the basement had flooded.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-12, 05:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
What it looks like you have a very dirty washer. Most likely the only way you will get it clean it to take out basket and clean basket and tub. Can give directions if you want to do this. About a hour or so job,

Old 02-15-12, 06:22 AM
Hi Pugsl,

Thanks for your reply. I am willing to do this. The model number is 110. 15642400.

Where did this debris come from? Thanks so much for your help.

Old 02-15-12, 02:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Model # did not work p[lease check. I think the 5 is wrong but not sure.
To take off cabinet 2 plastic caps on end of console pop off to you, Screw under each cap. Lift console up and hinge back. 2 gold colored clamps 1 on each side, put screwdriver in slot and pop them off. Unplug lid switch and take cabinet off. next you have to take plastic ring off top of tub. Take top off agitator and than remove bolt 7/16 head, take agitator out. There may be a clip and plastic piece on top of shaft take them off. remove lagge nut with 2 slots in it. Can get spanner wrench or use a pipe wrench. basket will lift out. ( maybe stuck and sometimes will have to be tapped on with a rubber hammer.
You will see a lot of dirt in tub and on basket. Normal for washers. I tell all my customers that they don't want to see inside washers. Let us know how it went.or if you need more help.

Old 02-15-12, 07:06 PM
HI Pugsl,

I took a picture..

http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/5963/modelr.jpg

The model # is correct.

Before I proceed, I think I should gather the tools. Is this correct?

-Spanner wrench
-7/16 socket with an extension. (At first, I didn't know. Then I found out by googling).
-Anything else?

Thanks Pugsl.

Old 02-16-12, 07:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That looks about it, Phillips head screwdriver Flat head screwdriver to take out gold clips holding cabinet.

Old 02-16-12, 07:50 AM
Pugsl,

It occurred to me why the model number wasn't coming up. The person I bought it from lived in Canada before - maybe the machine was bought there??

I took off the cap of the fabric softener dispenser but could not remove the actual dispenser. See pic. There are two notches which I believe have clips that should be depressed. I may be wrong.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1508/dispenser.jpg

Old 02-16-12, 03:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It turns off can't remember if right or left turn. May turn very hard. I was wondering if Canada can't pull there parts up but it is a standard Whirlpool top loader.

Old 02-17-12, 04:03 PM
Hey Pugsl,

I am stuck at this step:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/172...1202171838.jpg

Do I go counter-clockwise with the pipe wrench? It won't budge! And the basin starts moving also...I've tried holding the basin but the nut just won't budge. In that picture, there is a plastic plate and a metal clip that I have removed. This picture was taken before that was done.

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-17-12, 04:09 PM
Also Pugsl,

To clean the plastic basin, I am planning on leaving it attached to the machine and just filling it up with water + bleach and then letting it soak, then scrubbing all the nasty stuff off. Do I have to worry about the center drive shaft getting wet? I just don't want to take the time to remove the whole plastic basin.

Thanks.

Old 02-17-12, 06:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Won't hurt a thing. Shaft is wet all the time water is in tub.

Old 02-17-12, 06:35 PM
OK - But what about the frozen nut pugsl??? I tried again just now and it won't budge...

If I can't get the inner basin out, maybe I can just stop here and just fill up the basins with a strong solution of water and ammonia and just let it sit overnight, so that it releases all that gunk? What do you think?

Old 03-15-12, 05:36 PM
Wondering if you ever got your spanner nut off?

Hi. I have the same washer as you, and have been experiencing the same issue with debris coming out. We ran several different kind of cleaning washes including wahser cleaner from the store and none of that worked. My husband took it apart as far as he could and all the removable parts have been wahsed, but he wasn't able to get the spanner nut off either so he put it back together and the last wash was still giving off debris. Wondering if you ever solved your issue and if so then how. We do not have a spanner wrench and have not been able to find one. Wondering what else we could use. I read about suing a plier and screw driver but not sure hos to do that. Any advice would help.

Old 03-15-12, 07:48 PM
Hi Ladycat,

I was able to clean out everything and the washer is working just fine.

Removing the nut allowed me to take out the plastic bin. I did not use a spanner wrench. I used a small pipe wrench and banged on it with a hammer. It was very tight.

Please keep me posted.

Old 03-15-12, 07:48 PM
Here is a link to a video on getting the tub removed.
Whirlpool/Kenmore Washing Machine Drive Tub Seal Replacement (part #383727) - YouTube
Google washing machine spanner wrench to find several places that sell them online. You need to use a hammer to give the wrench a sharp hard hit to jar the nut loose. It might be possible to get it off with a 12 inch pipe wrench but it also will have to be hit with a hammer to loosen the nut. Just be sure to not hit the tub with the hammer as it will chip the paint in the tub and cause it to rust.