In ProcessAdSlots.php line 39: Trying to access array offset on value of type null

Kenmore 80 Series Washer Loud knocking during spin cycle

Old 02-19-12, 03:25 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore 80 Series Washer Loud knocking during spin cycle

I have an approx. 15-year-old Kenmore Series 80 washer, model #110.29842990. Of late, during the last half of the spin cycle, there is a loud banging noise, which repeats. The size of the load or weight of the clothes makes no difference. It doesn't occur during the first half of the spin cycle where the water is being drained. When the knocking begins I stop the washer by raising the lid, wait a moment, then lower the lid to start again. I alternate stopping and starting the spin before just giving up and putting the still-damp clothes in the dryer. Otherwise, the machine runs though its cycles with no problems. I checked the coupler, but that appeared to be OK. Any suggestions?

Old 02-20-12, 05:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Sounds like you need a drive block. It is located under basket. Part is less than 20.00$. It starts knocking when the washer turns off at end of spin cycle?

Old 02-20-12, 07:03 AM
P
Yes, The washer spins OK when eliminating the water; then stops; then when the spin restarts and builds up some speed the loud knocking begins.

Old 02-20-12, 09:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Trying to get this straight, It knocks while it is spinning or knocks when it tries to stop spinning. Never heard one knock while spinning unless the tub is banging against the sides. If the drive block is bad when it stops you will hear a knock, knock, knock several times and slowing down .

Old 02-20-12, 07:05 PM
P
Since I'm having a difficult time describing the problem I made a video of the washing machine making the noise. Here is the link: Washing Machine on Vimeo . Hope it helps! Thanks so much for your time.

Old 02-21-12, 04:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Very strange noise never heard it before. I think you have something under basket, Not spinning fast and the noise. The first thing I would do is take basket out. Let us know what you find. do you need directions on how to do it. 15 minute job done right.

Old 02-25-12, 03:29 PM
P
Finally getting back to you. I removed the agitator and ran the spin cycle. While the spinning noise seemed loud, there was no knocking. I was going to attempt to remove the basket, but was a little confused. Could you send directions? Thanks.

Old 02-26-12, 05:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
To take off cabinet 2 plastic caps on end of console pop off to you, Screw under each cap. Lift console up and hinge back. 2 gold colored clamps 1 on each side, put screwdriver in slot and pop them off. Unplug lid switch and take cabinet off. Under agitator is 2 slot nut you need a spanner wrench or a pipe wrench to take off. after nut off basket will lift out. May be stuck on and have to tapon basket shaft with a rubber hammer to loosen. Be careful donb't damage basket.

Old 02-26-12, 06:59 PM
P
Had a bit of a struggle, but was able to remove the basket. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary on the bottom of the basket or under it. There was some crud caked on in places, but I was able to remove it with just some hot soapy water. Bottom of the basket looked a little rusty. To help me retrace my steps I took a few photos which I will share if you wish. I put it all together and ran a spin cycle. Unfortunately I got the same banging or thumping noise after the spin cycle got up to speed. I did notice that as each "thump" occurred, the bottom of the agitator seemed to stop ever-so-momentarily and then resumed spinning until the next "thump." Not sure if that helps at all. Thanks again.

Old 02-27-12, 04:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Basket was the cheap way, I would guess that you need a gearcase. Google whrilpool gearcase and there are many sites that will help you rebuild or replace.

Old 03-04-12, 07:43 PM
P
A new gearcase seems to have done the job. The install was tricky in places, but pretty-much straightforward. I've run four loads in the washing machine since the install and everything seems OK. Thanks again for your assistance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: