Rattling sound from Dryer Blower

Old 02-20-12, 01:27 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rattling sound from Dryer Blower

Our dryer has made a terribly loud rattling sound for ages, and I decided to finally open it up and take a look. I thought it would be the glides or rollers, but after manually spinning the drum with it open, it appears the sound is coming from the blower fan(don't know the real name). It's loose, and it rattles when it spins. I can push it in and feel that it locks into place when I push on it, and it'll stay that way if I manually spin the drum (making no sound), but I can pretty easily pull it back toward me and it will rattle again, and it does that on its own when the dryer runs and spins the drum itself.

I have no idea how to tighten it or if I can. Can anyone offer suggestions? I'll attach a picture of what I'm talking about since I don't know the real part names. It is the inner plastic piece with the blades (which is the spinning part) that is loose. I'd say it pulls forward about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Thanks for any and all help you can offer!

Old 02-20-12, 05:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
No make or model # hard to help until know what we are working on. Usually it is a maytag with your problem and blower is very easy to change.

Old 02-20-12, 05:52 PM
J
Sorry... I don't know why I forgot that. It's an Admiral, model LNC7753A71

Old 02-20-12, 06:20 PM
J
I was watching this video about replacing it:

Dryer Repair- Replacing the Blower Wheel Kit (Whirlpool Part # Y303836) - YouTube

I don't have a retaining ring, but everything else is the same. Looking at the parts online, it doesn't look like it comes with a retaining ring, so I'm guessing I won't have one. Is it possible I might be able to just push it back and then push the clip back, or should I just go ahead and order a new wheel and clip?

Last edited by JesterPoet; 02-20-12 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-21-12, 04:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just a maytag dryer under a different name
unplug dryer firstYou are already there did you take the front cover off blower? There should be a snap ring in front of blower on shaft(usually hidden in lint) than a spring clip over plastic on shaft, after that blower wheel should pull off.

Old 02-22-12, 04:50 PM
J
QUick question before buying the parts. The wheel only has a spring clip on it right now. There's no ring in front of it. When I looked at the arts online

Whirlpool Y303836 - Blower Wheel with Clip | PartSelect

The part only comes with a spring clip as well. When I put the new wheel in, what's to keep it from moving backward and forward just like it does now? What normally keeps it locked in place?

Old 02-23-12, 05:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look on shaft just in front of where blower goes there should be a slot for a snap ring. If there order the snap ring also.
# 12 in picture
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...Mod=LNC7753A71

Old 02-23-12, 08:37 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Jester

Your question:
The part only comes with a spring clip as well. When I put the new wheel in, what's to keep it from moving backward and forward just like it does now? What normally keeps it locked in place?
Blower is a press on fit. Snap ring used only to keep wheel on motor shaft. When you remove the old fan blower, look at the centers hole. It will be well worn out. When you install the new blower wheel it will need to be pressed on. The wear is caused by the plastic blower wheel in contact with the motors metal shaft.

Buy both wheel and clip. Clip prone to break if expanded to much. Plus normal wear and heat may cause clip to break. Suggestion. Buy parts locally at an appliance parts store. Better ensures getting the correct parts and questions can be answered while you're at the counter, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: