Transporting a refrigerator

Old 03-02-12, 04:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Transporting a refrigerator

I need to tranport a refrigerator in my Ford E-150 van. I heard a while back that you cannot lay a fridge on its side or lay it down then stand it up and plug it in and run it, because the oil gets into the compressor or something like that and if you plug it in it will cause damage to the compressor if you run it right away. I heard if you wait a while then run it there will not be a problem. Is there any truth to this?

Thanx

Jim

Old 03-02-12, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
You betcha! I don't know the exact science, not being a refrigerator guy, but I can assure you if you immediately plug it in it's likely to toast the compressor. Don't remember what the textbook time back upright is, 12 or maybe 24 hours.

Old 03-02-12, 05:19 PM
Good thing I asked.

Thanx

Jim

Old 03-02-12, 07:23 PM
Actually I think I won't even bother transporting a fridge. We're moving to Georgia, but not for a couple of years and we have to get a fridge into the house down there for the renters and I was thinking of getting a used fridge up here in Jersey before and drive it down with us, but I think I'll just get one when I get down there to work on the place. It's a 18 hour drive and I do not want to take the chance that laying on it's side for that long might screw it up.

Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: