Dryers not working: Inglis IP80001

Reply

  #1  
Old 03-25-12, 07:14 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryers not working: Inglis IP80001

Hi Folks,

Inglis Dryer IP80001 stopped working last week, had a technician come in and diagnose as a faulty timer, which he tried to replace but the dryer still wouldn't run. No power, no noise.

He then stated it was the motor (as there was power coming to the wires into the motor) Said the motor had to replaced....everything else worked fine, door switch, fuses, start button etc.

Anyhow, decided to buy a new dryer (KENMORE) brought it home and it won't work either!!

I am now thinking maybe it is the power receptacle? Even though it was checked, could that be possible.

Breakers seems to be fine.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-25-12, 07:53 PM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 12,827
Received 33 Votes on 29 Posts
Get a meter and check it. They are only about $10. Just make sure it is set to at least 240 volts.
 
  #3  
Old 03-25-12, 10:15 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, I checked it. Was getting about 209? Could that be the problem?
 
  #4  
Old 03-26-12, 03:47 AM
pugsl's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 8,323
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
Check voltage across the 2 outside terminals (240) then check from outside to inner terminal. (120) If one of outside terminal not to spec go out and trip breaker a couple of times or replace fuse. recheck.
 
  #5  
Old 03-26-12, 04:39 PM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 12,827
Received 33 Votes on 29 Posts
Is this a house or apartment building or condo? If it is the latter then that is fine and you have some other issue. If it is a house, then you have some sort of electrical issue.

Dryers should be able to run on 208 volts (voltage found in larger buildings) but maybe the newer ones are a little pickier.
 
  #6  
Old 03-29-12, 07:29 PM
Beachboy's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast Kansas
Posts: 752
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You could have a loose or oxidized connection on your 240 volt wiring. This would cause a high resistance which would allow enough current to pass under a no-load situation to register full voltage, but under load, the voltage will plummet to practically zero. If you can, pull the dryer plug out from the receptable just a bit, then try checking the voltages across the blades of the plug while someone pushes the "start" button on the dryer. This should give you a true voltage reading under load. Also, did you re-use the old cord on the new dryer? The problem could be within the cord (broken internal connections).
 
  #7  
Old 03-29-12, 11:28 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
You could have a loose or oxidized connection on your 240 volt wiring. This would cause a high resistance which would allow enough current to pass under a no-load situation to register full voltage, but under load, the voltage will plummet to practically zero. If you can, pull the dryer plug out from the receptable just a bit, then try checking the voltages across the blades of the plug while someone pushes the "start" button on the dryer. This should give you a true voltage reading under load. Also, did you re-use the old cord on the new dryer? The problem could be within the cord (broken internal connections).
It was the neutral wire that had come loose at the main circuit board in the garage. Nothing was actually wrong with the dryer to begin with.


Thanks everyone for your help!
 
  #8  
Old 03-30-12, 07:26 AM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
was same pigtail used for old and new dryer? if voltages check okay and still no operation of dryer i would look at connections of wires to plug and possible breaker......they could be loose (can't carry a current pullling load but can show voltage). same thing with pigtail if old one was used.....
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes