Seeking advice on gas dryer purchase

Old 03-30-12, 09:43 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking advice on gas dryer purchase

Hello,

I hope this falls within the guidelines of what is a permissible post.

I am finally ready to replace my 20+ year old maytag electric dryer. I am looking for a no frills gas dryer. I think some of you may be professionals, and have a good sense for which brands are currently reliable, and which should be avoided. Here is a checklist of what I am looking for.

Want:
- Reliable, long lasting gas dryer
- Standard size (~27-29 inches wide, 27 inches deep)
- Simple knobs, non-digital interface if possible
- Fairly quiet
- Easy to clean and durable lint filter/trap

Nice to have, but not required:
- End of cycle signal
- Stationary dry

Don't need:
- 10+ dryer cycles
- other fancy options (e.g. steam dry, lint filter alarm)
- 5+ temperatures

I am willing to purchase a slightly used dryer (2-3 years old), if no current models match the attributes I have posted.

Thanks,
al

Old 03-31-12, 05:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Almost any brand dryer will do what you want, Dryers tend to have a fairly long life cycle if you keep the vent to the outside clean, (Clean vent before installing new dryer) Why are you replacing old Maytag?It is a very good dryer. I like LG for washers the best but dryers mostly all the same.

Old 03-31-12, 03:49 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Why am I replacing it? Because my spouse wants to. Admittedly, it does take a long time to dry the clothes. I have tried to get her using outdoor line to dry clothes in the hot summer (even quicker than using dryer), but she doesn't like how the clothes feel when they dry outside. If I find a good deal, I'll jump on it, otherwise I'll wait until the wheels fall off, so to speak.

Old 03-31-12, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey pimy....
I have the same issue with my wife about drying outside. I hated how towels dried with other clothes in the machine didn't seen to absorb water (I'm sure it was the dryer sheets) until they had been used several times.

Now what we do is after they are dry outside on the line (weather permitting).....I tumble them in the dryer with no heat or dryer sheet for about 30 min. The residual softener on the drum takes the stiffness out enough for her but the towels still absorb water after showering.

I can't do it for her athletic clothes...she just won't have it. T-shirts and jeans for me, it doesn't seem to make a difference either way.

I agree about the drying time as well. 30 min or less on the line on a hot, dry, windy day and towels are ready...would take 45 min or more in the machine and cost me money the whole time.

Old 03-31-12, 06:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Long drying times = blocked vent, Clean vent dry times will go down you will use less electricity, lower power bills. 95% of all dryer problems start with blocked vent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: