GE Electric Dryer gets very hot and does not dry properly

Old 04-05-12, 02:49 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Electric Dryer gets very hot and does not dry properly

Our ten year old GE electric dryer was not drying clothes on auto-dry. Had to put it on twice. When I touched the top rear of the machine it was very hot. We cleaned out a lot of built-up lint in the filter bottom and exhaust, but it is still not drying well and is overheating.

Old 04-05-12, 03:07 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Typically a dryer which works and then starts taking longer to dry clothes means an exhaust issue.

You say you cleaned out the filter and exhaust but did that include the entire length of the exhaust to the outside of the house? Mine typically collects lint where it exits the house.

Old 04-05-12, 03:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
mitch17 has it right. The reason dryers don't dry well and get hot is lack of air flow to outside. Clean or repair vent.

Old 04-05-12, 09:00 PM
E
Just wanted to confirm that the problem is not just an 'auto dry' issue, meaning a sensor problem? How does it dry on timer mode only? As was already said I would also suggest completely cleaning out the exhaust pipe from dryer to outside air, and also vaccum inside the dryer vent exhaust to ensure that there is still nothing trapped in the machine portion also.

Old 04-06-12, 10:34 AM
P
GE Electric Dryer Model DSXH43

After rechecking the dryer, lint is all clear, but it seems that dryer only gets very hot on the back part of the dryer top on auto-dry. Could it be a defective sensor or thermostat?

Old 04-06-12, 04:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
NO heater is located in back that is why back is hot. Clean vent to outside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: