Removing bolt from Kenmore washer agitator

Old 04-17-12, 02:25 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing bolt from Kenmore washer agitator

I cannot remove the bolt from the top of the Commercial Washing machine. I can get to the bolt head, fine and have the right extension but the motor shaft turns every-time I apply any force. The agitator is broken and does not provide any help in keeping the motor shaft stationary. Is there some way to held the parts steady while I extract the bolt please ?

Old 04-17-12, 03:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
If you can not hold the bottom of agitator (never seen one you can't) get socket on bolt and hit the ratchet handle. This usually loosens it. Post model # so we can see what washer you have. Top of agitator will turn bottom is splined to shaft.

Old 04-17-12, 05:12 PM
H
I think the agitaor is loose on the shaft due to overload causing the material inside the agitator breaking off. I can hold it at the bottom just fine, but since its loose on the shaft it does not offer any resistence when trying to loosen the bolt. The washer is a Kenmore commercial washer model 110.20172001.

Old 04-17-12, 09:36 PM
H
Is there a way to get the motor spindle to lock ? perhaps get it into agitate mode and then pull the plug to make it easier to get the bolt out ? Can a C-clamp or locking wrench be used to lock the shaft from under the drum ?

Old 04-18-12, 02:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
There is no way to hold shaft. You will have to break the agitator to get it off. Use a large screwdriver or chisel and hammer to break. You will need a new agitator anyway. Have never seen a Whrilpool agitator break loose from shaft in many years of repairing washers

Old 04-19-12, 04:09 PM
H
Looks like the shaft is too light to offer any resistance to the bolt untorquing. When you hit the rachet handle it just continues to turn. In this case the top of the agitator that goes on the metal shaft connected to the washer motor was worn, so that it would spin freely on the shaft. The method I used may be a little dangerous ( so do no try unless you know what you are in for !) but basically while holding the bolt in a socket allow the washer to get to the agitate cycle. The agitate cycle offers enough resistance to loosen the bolt easily. In my case I wil be replacing the whole agitator assembly at $100+. Good news is that rest of the machine ( about 6 yrs old ) is just fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: