Crosley CNT17L5A Refrigerator

Old 06-06-12, 06:49 PM
Received 17 Votes on 12 Posts
Crosley CNT17L5A Refrigerator

Pugsl, hope you can help me with this. My Crosley refrigerator has performed like a champ for 28 years, but tonight I heard a humming noise that seems to be coming from the condenser fan and I can feel heat from the defrost heaters around the outside of the top freezer (from outside of the box) when I lay my hand on the edges. I have been able to feel the heat for over 2 hours so far. I also noticed that items in the bottom of refrigerator are not as cold as normal (Bud Light bottles). As far as I can tell, the condenser fan is running and the evap fan is blowing cold air into the freezer that doesn't appear to be warmer than normal. My first thought was the defrost timer is bad, but if the timer quit in the "ON" position, wouldn't the normal function of the other timers, controls and fans cease? The only refrigerator I ever saw with a bad defrost timer was stuck in the defrost mode and the whole box got warm. Any ideas where to start? I have a spare defrost timer if you think that's my problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-12, 08:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
One of the ref. guys will be on later, I would just be guessing

Old 06-07-12, 05:14 PM
Ok, thanks, pugsl. But I have to tell you, I thought you knew it all! I'll keep checking back, but for now will just watch it a few days. I know it should be replaced with a newer more efficient model, but I really didn't want to replace it just yet and I am also afraid the newer models are too tall to fit under the wall cabinets.

Old 06-18-12, 06:26 PM
It's been almost two weeks since I first noticed the problem and everything has been fine till this morning. I walked into the kitchen this morning and heard the same unusual noise, but this time I could actually smell the heaters. Felt around the outside of the freezer compartment and it was hot to the touch and the compressor and both evap and condenser fans were running. Checked it at noon and odor was gone, but felt around freezer compartment again and it felt just warm. I checked the schematic on the back of the unit and found, as I suspected, that the heaters and mechanical unit cannot run at the same time. Compressor and fans shut down when the defrost heaters run and defrost heaters shut down when the compressor and fans run. I am thinking there is a set of contacts in the defrost timer sticking so I changed the defrost timer (I had a spare). Will watch it closely for a while. Any refrigerator guys out there?

Old 08-01-12, 05:00 PM
Well, the schematic doesn't show the heaters imbedded in the wall around the freezer opening (condensation heaters). I also learned they don't operate with the defrost heaters because I changed the defrost timer with little change. The only change is the problem occurs more frequently now; 4-6 or more times a week. I found the solution though, I have a new refrigerator being delivered on Saturday.