Stacked Kenmore Washer/Dryer - how to move them

Old 06-10-12, 07:25 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stacked Kenmore Washer/Dryer - how to move them

Hi All,

We have a stacked Kenmore washer/dryer in a closet, but there is a good chunk of space to the side that I want to utilize (home security alarm, home computer server, etc). The problem is that there is no way to access that space with the washer/dryer in their location.

I'd like to be able to slide them out of their closet when needed. Is there something that can aid in this? I'm imagining a sort of dolly and lift that I can keep in place under the washer/dryer.

The items I want to stick in there would not need to be accessed very much, just a few times a year (hopefully). Still, I'd like to be able to get in there quickly if need be.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-11-12, 05:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
You did not say is this a front load washer? If a front load washer yopu need to have the washer firmly on the floor with no movement at all.

Old 06-11-12, 06:16 AM
T
Yes, it is a front-loading washing machine.

I understand it needs to be firmly on the ground, but it still seems like something should exist that would allow me to move them periodically. And when I say move, I mean simply sliding out of the closet to be able to walk into it, and then sliding them back into the closet when I'm done.

The dead space in that closet is killing me!

Old 06-11-12, 03:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Washing machines aren't portable appliances. As Don said, they must be firmly in place. They are heavy and can't be made to "slide". What kind of flooring do you have? Tile, lino? what type flooring on the room outside the closet?

Old 06-11-12, 03:34 PM
T
The floors are hardwood, or at least engineered hardwood.

I'm not disagreeing that the washer shouldn't be firmly on the ground, I'm just looking for some way to make use of the dead space in a 900sq.ft. condo where every inch counts. Like I mentioned, the dead space is perfectly sized for a home alarm box, as well as a computer server. In order to get these things in there, as well as maintain them, I would need to be able to slide the washer/dryer into the hallway occasionally.

I appreciate the responses so far.

Old 06-11-12, 04:11 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
You could engineer a substantial base with rollers that would run on a rail fastened to the floor. This base would then require jackscrews and (probably) a worm gear drive to a front-mounted crank of some sort that would lower the jackscrews to slightly lift the base up from the track and make it solid to the floor. Probably cost as much, or more, as the W/D combo unit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: