Kenmore upright freezer not freezing but cool

Old 06-22-12, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore upright freezer not freezing but cool

Hello.
My freezer alarm started going off a couple weeks ago, just a couple times then I noticed the ice cream getting soft and now things have thawed out in the freezer. I left it unplugged for several days, plugged it in this morning around 1030 and it is now 3:15, the temp alarm just went off and the temp is 65 inside the freezer. I have the dial turned to 'all the way coldest'. I have the cover off inside the freezer and see the fan running and there is frost on the top few tubes of the condenser (?) and the tubes on the sides of the coils. I can feel and hear the compressor running.
I called a guy to come out but he didn't want to charge me a service call on such an old freezer, said the compressor might be worn out. Does anyone have any ideas or anything I can easily test before I call it a loss? Thanks in advance. This is a Kenmore 253.9280414 . I have replaced the controller (?), part 216649309 a couple months ago and it has worked fine until now.

Old 06-22-12, 02:54 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
We have someone come out and clean the coils when a tenants says their fridge isn't cooling like it used to. If that doesn't solve the problem, we order them a new one.

There are things you can do and those on this site who think they are worth the effort, hang tight and they'll chime in as well.

Old 06-23-12, 06:31 AM
Well, it is morning, the freezer ran all night. The compressor was still running this morning and the temp was only down to 54 degrees. The temp alarm was going off as well. Anything?
There was frost on the top two rows of the set of coils inside the freezer if that helps.

Old 06-23-12, 07:35 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
Have you cleaned all around the coils and cooling fins?
I use to have a commercial coke fridge which because of it's design (and being in the basement), the rad style cooling fins would get coated with dust. I use to use a small broom or clean paint brush to get all the dust out of the fins while running a vacume.

Depending on the age of the unit, and how hard it's been used, your compressor and or coolant (not sure what was used in yours) might be worn out.

Old 06-24-12, 10:23 AM
Sorry i took so long to reply about cooling fins...there are none to speak of. I have looked in the back and underneath the freezer and there are no fins to clean.

Old 06-24-12, 07:24 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
There has to be a condensing coil somewhere for the unit to discharge the heat removed from the freezer. It looks like your freezer was manufactured by Frigidaire.
Sears Manufacturing Codes | Appliance Aid
I am not familiar with them, but I know all refrigeration equipment must have a condensing oil somewhere. Do you have an owner's manual with parts list showing a blowup of the freezer?

Old 06-24-12, 08:06 PM
I have looked up the parts diagram at sears parts and it shows a condenser (which is what you normally find in the back or bottom and is usually quite dirty and causes this type problem). Looking on this freezer it must be inside the cabinet between the walls or something. I don't have a manual and haven't been able to find one yet. There looks to be two drain pans under the freezer so I am guessing one drains from inside, from the evaproator and the other from inside where the condenser is? This thing looks to be sealed up though, no more panels to remove so I can't see how to access the evaproator. I'll keep looking. Keep the ideas coming please!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: