70 Series Kenmore Washer

Old 06-24-12, 07:09 AM
Upvotes Received: 16
70 Series Kenmore Washer

Well, at nearly 28 years old I knew it was on borrowed time. It now has started leaking oil and I don't want to tear into a transmission or gearbox. How many loads could it have left? How much time do I have to make a decision on buying a new machine? Who makes the best top loaders, HE and regular? I was thinking about an inexpensive Kenmore top loader, but am wondering after reading the reviews if that is a wise choice. Pugsl, you out there?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-12, 11:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
All of the old belt loader washer leak oil, Have never seen they fail for that reason, What usually happens is the tub rust out. Tub is NLA . The last one's we repaired all tub leaks after repair so we won't touch them anymore. The only top loader that is like the old one's are Ropers, Hard to find but saw one in lowes the other day, The only HE top loader with history is the Whirlpool, Kenmore oassis (sp) type. I personaly like LG washers but have littlehistory on them.

Old 06-24-12, 05:57 PM
Well, this is a direct drive machine. Keeping in mind that a very small amount of oil will make a big mess, it hasn't leaked a lot, but there is a small stream that flowed out a few days ago. I cleaned it up to see if any more oil flows as the machine operates and will watch it closely. The problem with maintaining and taking care of your things is that one day all you have is old stuff!! Everything then seems to break at once. I have always had good luck with Kenmore appliances made by Whirlpool, but don't want to rule out Samsung or LG washers, I have heard good reports on both of them.

Old 06-24-12, 09:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
If it's a driect drive look for a streak of oil about 6 inches from floor inside cabinet. If there the oil will work up shaft and get into clutch, Than the spin will slow down or stop. Fairly easy repair.

Old 06-27-12, 06:00 PM
Considering the age of the machine, I really hadn't considered trying to repair, but, maybe I should take a look. Oil running across the floor made me panic! At least to the point of looking for a sale!