Why is my GE electric dryer banging like this?

Old 07-11-12, 10:31 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why is my GE electric dryer banging like this?

It has been getting worse (as things do, if not handled) - but I just can't figure this out! The short video clip can be found here.

The banging is coming from the front somewhere; I can feel the vibration with my hand, most likely top part, above the door. It sounds like the metal "seam" on the drum is hitting something but when I take off the front panel with the door, I see no evidence of some plastic being worn down by metal abusing it.

In the past, I have replaced (for various reasons)

- the bearing kit for the drum
- the whole front plastic piece that drum and sliders rest on (as I sort of did not I needed to replace the sliders so ummm... the whole thing got worn down)
- both green and white sliders that the drum rests on

The noise gets better when load is not as heavy (gets drier). But its not like I am putting a 50 lb load in there to begin with.

I can't seem to figure this out. Help please!

Old 07-12-12, 04:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Could not get sound to work, Take off front (may not have to do more than take screws out and pull front off drum) see if a coin falls out when you do this. Have seen this many times. Next could be blower wheel has worn out, With front off see if blower is loose on shaft (will wiggle on shaft)

Old 07-12-12, 12:41 PM
B
Thank you for the tips!

Sorry about the video; not sure which system you are using but - I have uploaded a smaller version in WMV format now also, hopefully that works better? You should be able to just play this one within your browser...

I have taken off the front just a week ago, actually, and replaced the felt strip that goes around the drum edge... no coins fell out as I took the drum off the front panel/door. Also the blower fan is not loose (I know this as I vacuumed it all out while I had the front off).

What drives me crazy is that there has got to be something obvious and I am looking at it but am not seeing it apparently. :|

Old 07-12-12, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not the dryer I thought post model # but it sounds like the rollers are bad. I think there are 2 in front and 2 in back When you have drum out check for any looseness in idler pulley

Old 07-12-12, 09:00 PM
B
It is a DCVH515, sorry I should have specified that...

I am looking at the technical service guide and it appears like there are no rollers? The drum soft of rests on the front side on the white plastic circular piece which is attached to the front panel (above the door). And it sort of just glides on green pieces.

I'll open it up this weekend again and have a look at the idler pulley and arm.

Old 07-13-12, 06:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have never opened one of those dryers but it is the same as the one's I was taking about in first post. The only thing dryer rides on are the front slides and a rear plastic bearing. I guess the bearing could ware out but have never seen this yet. Drum has a medal pin and plastic part is in receiver in back panel. Plastic bearing may be still on shaft.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: