Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Large Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

Kenmore 90 Washer # 11022912100 won't spin or drain after new lid switch & pump

Old 07-18-12, 09:20 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Washer stopped full of water. Will not spin or drain on any cycle. Switch (timer ?) does not advance.

I checked & found the lid switch was broken. Fell apart in my hand. Per research, it could cause problems. I installed new one. Washed 5 loads of clothes and it stopped again. Same problems. Will not spin or drain.

Per more research, could be water pump. Checked, not clogged but wouldn't spin freely - replaced and it still won't work. There are no kinks in any lines.

Could the lid switch be faulty? How would I check? I could still send back for refund.

Not sure what else to try or check.

I don't want to buy a new washer and I'm very handy.

Old 07-19-12, 04:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Does it agitate? dose the motor try to run. Recheck lid switch (make sure it is plugged in.) Jump lid switch(2 wires not colored green) and see if it will spin. If no agitate and motor does not try to run wiggle wires to motor, Have seen loose white wire several times. If that is problem use small screwdriver and tighten wire clip, Hard to do but doable.

Old 07-19-12, 09:39 AM
S
Thanks for the information. I checked and it does agitate.

You said, "jump lid switch" - how do I do that?

In order to get to the lid switch, the whole cabinet must be removed from the machine and the lid switch is grounded (?) to the cabinet.

The lid switch seemed to only connect in one direction at the wire junction/harness. Not sure of the wording. I will recheck that as well.

I did check for loose wires before putting things back together but I will check them again.

I'll recheck everything and let you know what happens.

Unfortunately, I have to drain water again to move washer. My dumb luck I attempted to wash a full load of clothes, which I always do for ease and economics.

Thanks, Karen

Old 07-19-12, 02:30 PM
S
I found out how to jump switch and it didn't work. I took everything apart again and found 1 wire loose / not glued at switch like the other. I reinserted and put back together. Button doesn't make clicking sound like it did when installed.

I ordered new one. Will return defective one.

Used aquarium siphon to remove water into wash tub next to washer. Easier on the back then picking up wet/dry vac to empty. Hand rinsed. wrung clothes to dry.

New switch will arrive Friday - will try again. Definitely will check wires before taking apart washer again.

Not ready to give up or in yet. Will post what happens.

Karen

Old 07-20-12, 04:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you still have old switch? Can cut wites at switch end and splice 2 wires together (not green wire) and plug it in. This will jump lid switch and washer should run if switch is problem.

Old 07-20-12, 08:28 AM
S
I do have old / new switch. If I cut it up, I won't get my refund back.

I used the ohm meter to test switch. I read up on how to test using one and when I did, there was no change in the meter when I touched the two wires. I did check the meter and it does work.

I'm hoping that the new switch I ordered, which will arrive today (Friday) will fix the problem. I will check it before installing to make sure everything is attached properly.

If it doesn't, based on new switch and pump - any suggestions as to what else it might be? I did recheck all wires and motor wires and everything else I could see was connected.

It would be nice to know while I have the cabinet off. That's a pain to get back on but I've gotten pretty good and a lot more familiar with what's inside the cabinet.

Thanks again for the advice.

karen

Old 07-20-12, 03:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lets see what happens when you install new switch, Gets harder from there.

Old 07-22-12, 11:32 AM
S
Success !! Had one problem but grateful that we did not put carpet down near washer and that I had my shop vac handy plus the drain near washer. I didn't tighten down the outlet hose right and it popped off when it started spinning and draining. One last removal and replacement of cabinet (I hope) to put hose back on and back in business.

I've learned so much about my washer, more than I ever thought I would need to know.

It feels good fixing things when I can and unless I need muscle, I'm usually able to get things done myself. Nothing against repair persons because I ALWAYS appreciate what they do after I tackle something - it's the labor costs that can get pricey. I know when to holler uncle though and do call, if I can't get things done.

If I need help in the future, this is the site I'm coming to. I tried others and not one response.
I can get back to the mountain of clothes that has grown.

Thanks again for the help, morale support.

karen

Old 07-22-12, 03:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks glad to know we helped. All volunteers here so nice to hear we helped.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: